Sigh....and Yaaaawwwwnnn! Guess I'm Starting Over.

Decorating By countrycaker Updated 28 Dec 2009 , 2:58am by millermom

countrycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycaker Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 25

Just sharing my Christmas day woes. I have two cakes to make for tomorrow - one chocolate, one white. So my plan - make, bake, and dirty ice the cakes Thursday, do the fun part (decorating!) today, delivery tomorrow then start baking dinner items for a big family get-together tomorrow evening. The white cake went as planned and is now waiting patiently for the decorating. I made up the chocolate cake while waiting for the kids to get to bed so Santa could come (little did I know that the teenager and the tweenager weren't in bed at all but were downstairs quietly watching tv - discovered them at 11 when I went down to dig out Christmas stuff. Naughties!). Baked the cake, cooled it for a few minutes, then FLIP! and Aaaaaahhhhh! All around the edges the cake had stuck to the pan. And I had SO carefully greased and floured that pan! Well, had to get on to the ribbons and the wrappings so had no time to make another one last night. Was up to 2:30 a.m. as it was. So now the presents are unwrapped, the kids are busy with the new loot, and I guess I'm off to bake another chocolate cake. I think I'll use parchment this time.

24 replies
countrycaker Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 25

Oh, and did I mention that my mixer went out on me when I was in the middle of making up some bc? Yes. Yes, it did. Kapoot.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 25

You poor thing- icon_cry.gif

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 25

Bless your heart! I hope the next one goes PERFECTLY for you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 25

Ooohhhhh bless your heart! I hope by now you have everything under control and can laugh at the problems icon_smile.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 25

Sorry to hear your difficulties! Thankfully, so far, so good for me.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 25

I saved a bad pan tear once by doing a careful frosting reconstruction of the area. Is that a possibility so you don't have to re-bake?

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 25

I had quite a large corner of cake stuck in a pan so broke away from the cake. Fortunately it came out the pan pretty much whole so while warm I stuck it back to the rest of the cake. As its cooling its seems to stick itself. I then iced as usual and the cake turned out fine, and no one knew any different. It's the "get me out of here" cake in my pics.

countrycaker Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:04am
post #9 of 25

I actually thought of trying to salvage the first chocolate cake, but it was really quite a mess. I did get the second one made, but when I went to get parchment paper I found that I only had about 8 inches left - not nearly enough, of course. I made a risky move and decided to try something I've never done before. First I greased the pan with shortening, then I sprayed it with Pam, then I floured it. It worked! icon_biggrin.gif Yay! The cake came out beautifully! After this experience, though, I'm thinking of trying Wilton's Cake Release. Has anyone tried it and had any problems with it? I've had several cakes stick using the Crisco-flour method, and also using the Crisco-oil-flour blend. I really want a sure thing, if it exists.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:07am
post #10 of 25

I use the wilton cake release every time, never use paper any more, so much easier and quicker. It amazes me how good it is especially on the 3d pans.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 12:57am
post #11 of 25

I use Baker's Joy or Pam for Baking now. It's all I use.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 4:33am
post #12 of 25

sorry to hear about your diaster on christmas-especially!
i use the wilton cake release and parchment paper and now i never have a problem with cakes sticking.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 25

I feel your pain...sending cake angels your way!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 25

Urrrgghh. It's especially aggravating when the SIMPLE steps in the process go wrong. It wouldn't be all that shocking if some design element or decorating technique gave you trouble, but just GETTING THE CAKES OUT OF THE PAN??? When things like that happen, it just steams me up! I've been baking forever...you'd think I could get the stinkin' pan greasy...but nope. My red velvet cake for Christmas stuck! Just in one tiny spot, and I was able to easily repair it. But, it was for family so no pressure. Sorry for your trouble, dear!

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 25

I am firm believer in the homemade cake release. I have never had a cake stick since I switched to it. Its easy and cheap since its made out of stuff you already have on hand. Mix equal parts oil, flour, and shortening. I store mine in the fridge and use a pastry brush to "paint" my pans.

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #16 of 25

I've been using Pam for baking since I started decorating cakes, and have never had a problem with sticking, even when I don't add the parchment paper. Try it, it's wonderful!

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:35pm
post #17 of 25

I use wax paper or parchment on the bottom and take a knife the edges before I flip it...have never had a cake stick.

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 7:25pm
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

I am firm believer in the homemade cake release. I have never had a cake stick since I switched to it. Its easy and cheap since its made out of stuff you already have on hand. Mix equal parts oil, flour, and shortening. I store mine in the fridge and use a pastry brush to "paint" my pans.

I also use this! Never had a cake to stick. Cheaper also if you bake alot.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 8:05pm
post #19 of 25

Don't forget that you can use the cake "spackling paste", too. Patch up the holes and let it dry before you crumb coat, and it will be wonderful...

countrycaker Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:07pm
post #20 of 25

Thanks everyone for the words of advice, sympathy, and encouragement. I'm not sure which method I'm going to try next, but greasing and flouring is definitely a never-again for me!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchas

I use wax paper or parchment on the bottom and take a knife the edges before I flip it...have never had a cake stick.

Ditto that, but I use paper towels. Never used any kind of spray or grease in my pans. This makes cleanup easier as the bottom stays clean! icon_smile.gif

I can feel your pain. I had a wedding cake for the day after Christmas. Seems like all the little things went wrong because I was unusually preoccupied with Christmas plans. I think my "No" was broke this year icon_lol.gif

BTW countrycaker, what part of Utah are you in? We lived in Provo (BYU) for 4 years, but the in-laws are still in Orem, so we are back there at least once a year!

countrycaker Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:52am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by millermom

Ditto that, but I use paper towels. Never used any kind of spray or grease in my pans. This makes cleanup easier as the bottom stays clean! icon_smile.gif

Paper towels? That works, huh? I've never heard of using those. Do you use a certain brand? And do you have to spray the towels to keep them from sticking to the cake?

Oh, and I'm in an itty bitty town called Oak City. It's about a 90 mile drive southwest from Provo - Go Cougars! icon_biggrin.gif

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:54am
post #23 of 25

I also use the homemade stuff and have never had a problem in 9 years!!! Every so often I take 3 cups shortening, 3 cups oil and 3 cups flour, throw it in my KA and put it in a airproof container and throw it in the refrigerator. Love that stuff!!!!

countrycaker Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:40am
post #24 of 25

Oh, and by the way if you're interested in knowing what happened to the ruined chocolate cake - I would have used it to make cake balls or cake pops except that I had spent the previous week making over 300 of the little buggers to take around to neighbors for Christmas. I was cake pop O.D.ed. So instead I used the cake for a little stress relief. Yes, I punched it. Many times. And it felt good. icon_lol.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #25 of 25

No particular brand of paper towels, just whatever I have on hand. And no, I don't spray them at all; just trace the bottom of the pan and cut them out, stick them in the bottom of the pan and pour the batter in. When I take them out of the oven I let them cool for about 10 mins and the edges shrink back away from the pan enough to run a knife around and turn the cake out. The paper towel is stuck to the bottom of the cake, and it just peels off...voila!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%