Help With Cake Structure!

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 27 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm by tguegirl

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 9

Hey all,
I'm dying to make this tiger cake by susie108. But I can't figure out how to do the head. I'm planning on making it out of rice krispie treats. Can I just dowel and board it as usual (pretend it's another tier) or do I need to build some sort of internal structure with a wooden dowel supporting a round of wood, screwed into the baseboard?

And also, would it be better to use fondant or modeling chocolate to cover the head? Should I cover the head separately or try to use a giant piece of fondant to cover the whole thing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
LL

8 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 9

Beautiful cake. Have you tried pm'ing susie108 for instructions?

tguegirl Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 2:21am
post #3 of 9

Yes, she was very helpful! But I forgot to ask her these questions and she hasn't gotten back to me after a few weeks.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Dec 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 9

I thought she used styrofoam on the head.

tguegirl Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 9

She did- but I wanted to make it all edible. Which is why I'm wondering if I can get away with just dowels instead of an internal structure.

Anyone have any idea?

madgeowens Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 4:44am
post #6 of 9

Out of cake.....wow that would be dicey

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 5:23am
post #7 of 9

Why not Rice Crispies? They're edible and kinda Styrofoam-y? Form/mold them, use some royal icing were needed, stick a dowel in them and you're in business.

madgeowens Posted 26 Dec 2009 , 8:43am
post #8 of 9

Yes I would use rkt not cake...and dowel it like that. I could never do anything that artistic, that is a great tiger cake

tguegirl Posted 27 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 9

Okay great! I'll definitely do rice krispie treats and dowel it. Will it stay with just dowels (Bamboo skewers)? I'll use bubble tea straws and cardboard in the cake to support it and then stick bamboo skewers through the head.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%