Cupcake Wars

Lounge By all4cake Updated 31 Dec 2009 , 4:11pm by vww104

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 2:34am
post #1 of 19

Tune in to FN

Cupcake Wars is on Sunday, Dec 27th at 10 PM/9 PM Central (or 1 AM/Midnight Central)

18 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:14am
post #2 of 19

Thanks for the heads-up!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Dec 2009 , 1:37am
post #3 of 19

Awesome! I can't wait!

cylstrial Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 19

I watched it - did anyone else?

I actually wanted Sweet E's (or something like that to win). I thought the pink and red table was much more elegant than the one that did win.

But anyway, it was good and interesting.

mim1106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mim1106 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 19

I wasn't liking any of them, they were all so whiny! It's funny how they all came up with the same theme for the stand, man did the one lady get mad!
Maybe it was the stress of the competition, but I was expecting professionals.

all4cake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 19

I watched it. I thought the idea of a cupcake war/showdown was great. For whatever reason, editing...format...visual debris...it was too messy. I thought the judging of the idea was unnecessary...and how they had to present it left me thinking, "WTH?????" I didn't like the show. If they keep it the way it is, I won't be watching it again. (I might have to watch it again to see if they made any changes to it)

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 19

I watched it.. wasn't too terribly impressed because I kept noticing things that I didn't think professionals would do..

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 19

I caught it only by accident; they usually advertise that sort of show so heavily on FN. It was fun, but give me a good ol' cake competition any day! icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I watched it. I thought the idea of a cupcake war/showdown was great. For whatever reason, editing...format...visual debris...it was too messy. I thought the judging of the idea was unnecessary...and how they had to present it left me thinking, "WTH?????" I didn't like the show. If they keep it the way it is, I won't be watching it again. (I might have to watch it again to see if they made any changes to it)

Oh - it's not a 1 time show? It's a series?

all4cake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 4:30pm
post #10 of 19

That was a preview and I'm guessing here of a potential new show...like was 24 hour restaurant...family style ...

at the end of last night's show, the host said something like "...the next cupcake wars...".

I do hope it gets tidied up...

the same reason I don't like that TLC one...too much visual debris...'bout like trying to watch Blair Witch Project...(I couldn't watch but like 2 minutes of it) or what was that other movie?...Cloverfield...too much going on around about to focus on the storyline(was there one?)

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 19

My husband and I watched it last night. He was shocked they chose the winner they did. The cupcakes the other finalist presented sounded so much better, and he didn't think the winning design looked very latin. I agree... the lady in the middle should have been Hispanic, and it would've looked much more authentic with her hair pulled into a bun at the nape of the neck than the huge feathery headdress thing they had on her...

Like this:

http://www.art.com/products/p10289056-sa-i863296/caroline-gold-flamenco-dancer-ii.htm

I also think more red accents in the display would have looked better. Think Flamenco or Argentinian Tango dancer.

And yes, the Food Network cake contests always seem more put together than this or TLC's cake thing.

- Leisel

ctirella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctirella Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 19

they said the lady on the middle was carmem miranda , carmem miranda is brazilian and i dont think brazilians are latinos.

all4cake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 19

images of Carmen Miranda were shown during the episode...when they were showing the stars who attend the awards ceremony images of her came up as well...I thought Latino was descriptive of those of South American heritage

all4cake Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:16pm
post #14 of 19

according to Wikipedia.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America...

"In one sense, Latin America refers to those territories in the Americas where the Spanish or Portuguese languages prevail: Mexico, most of Central and South America, and (in the Caribbean) Cuba, the Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico in summary, Spanish America and Brazil. Latin America is, therefore, defined as all those parts of the Americas that were once part of the Spanish and Portuguese Empires.[7] "

Yeah, I'd say Carmen Miranda most definitely qualifies.

but still...the display didn't depict that image(not to me anyway). It was more Frenchy(although, according to one of the sites...maybe Wikipedia, some French are latins...whatever). I agree...the bun at the nape of the neck...lace shawl...no matter they pulled it off...they were able to convince the judges.

It was like the cupcakes took a back burner to the idea of the setup and the actual setup construction...should be called Cupcake Display Wars.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:17pm
post #15 of 19

I lived in Brasil for a year and I was quite sure I was surrounded by handsome, dark-haired, dark-eyed Latinos and Latinas icon_smile.gif!!! However Wikipedia says that Brasilians are not Latinos--who knew?!!? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latinos At any rate, I liked the other cupcake display and cupcakes better!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 7:43pm
post #16 of 19

I too didn't really like the show, was looking forward to it, and then all of the contestants were so annoying. I felt it was forced, acting to perky, maybe they told them to act that way, I don't know. It was strange the way they all used mango, and then had the same displays.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:12pm
post #17 of 19

I missed it...do you think they'll air it again soon? Maybe I can search for it on my dvr...

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 28 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctirella

they said the lady on the middle was carmem miranda , carmem miranda is brazilian and i dont think brazilians are latinos.

Carmen Miranda was an actress in the 1940's and 1950's. She died in 1955, so the lady in the middle wasn't her, but was supposed to remind you of her. I don't think they succeeded in that regard, and I still don't think she had the right look for the whole vibe they were trying to accomplish.

- Leisel

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 31 Dec 2009 , 4:11pm
post #19 of 19

The costume worn by the lady in the middle of the winning design reminded me more of Moulin Rouge than Carmen Miranda. But the winner was from France.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%