Cake Balls... Is This Right? Help!

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 4:02pm by CiNoRi

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

Im trying to make cake balls for the first time... and my recipe calls for cake crumbles to be mixed with the frosting... how wet should this mixture be? Right now at room temp its very soft... i am able to make the ball shape... i just am not sure how "mushy" it should be. I guess i could call it a slightly stiff <since i can form it> frosting consistency.

I hope i'm making sense!

Thanks!!!!

icon_surprised.gif

4 replies
Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 5

Usually 3 spoonfuls of icing is what I use (as recommended in cc) for one cake recipe. It has to be just enough to form the ball other wise it gets to "mushy".

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 5

It's hard to judge if you've never made them before. Look at the pioneer woman's pictures:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/cake-balls-halloween-style/

Try not to make it too mushy ... add a little at a time if you're not sure ... and you can always do a taste test. Eat a wad ... if it's gross and mushy, covering it with chocolate won't save it.

CiNoRi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 5

oooh wow... i knew i should have looked here first!
this recipe uses 1 box cake mix and 2 cups of frosting...

this stinks!

thanks for the input!

CiNoRi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 5

Problem salvaged!

Like you guys said, yup too wet... but i found a PERFECT use, so all was not lost... i rolled them quickly in the chocolate then put them in the freezer. Once chilled the centers had the consistency of ice cream & were still very tasty! I did not leave them in the freezer to harden completely but I imagine that would make them even better ( I have more in there now to try later). Also I was thinking while they are chilled and soft adding a couple to a scoop of ice cream would be nice.

So yeah thankfully all was not lost... but I have learned my lesson!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%