What I Am Thankful For This Christmas....

Lounge By G_Cakes Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm by -K8memphis

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 3:48am
post #1 of 7

Ok this may start off as a rant but I am hoping my meds will kick in and that this will make some sense to those reading...

A while back I had posted a vent because I was looking for work and not getting very far.

I did manage to find a job working as a rental agent about 1 hour away from where I live and for very little money...when you factor in the hours I work and what I spend on gas weekly to get to and from work, I make less that minimum wage.

But I am ok with that because there was room for growth and advancement within the company and my boss is great!

I started my new job on December 4th.... on December 16th about 5 minutes after I left work I was rear ended... it was a good smack and sent me into the middle of the intersection.

The car lost the back but was still drivable and and thankfully it was repairable. I exchanged information with the other driver and made my way home...it took me almost 5 hours to get home because of black ice conditions on the highway so I drove through the city avoiding the highway and the bumper to bumper crawl.

I was feeling a little stiff and noticed that about an hour into my trek home, and figured that the adrenaline had worn off and didn't think much of it.

My DH after hearing what had happened met me half way and followed me all the way home, hazard lights blinking the entire trip.

Needless to say it was a long white knuckled drive!

Once we got in I called our insurance and reported the claim, they were fantastic to deal with and made the entire process easy and reassuring. They urged me to contact my family doctor and make sure I got checked out just to be safe...so I called and got the on call doctor and explained what had happened.

I was told to get my behind into my local emerge department to get looked at...I really felt ok, just a little stiff but I figured that since it was such a long drive home and my nerves after the accident that it was normal...but I went in anyways.

Well much to my surprise I was hurt, nothing that I wouldn't recover from with time, rest and some therapy.

I had stretched the ligaments in my back as well as the muscles, doctor said I was fortunate that nothing was broken. So after some percocet, a shot of Demerol and a prescription for 3 days rest I was sent home to recover. I figured I would be back to work on Monday with the rest of the week off along with the weekend to rest.

Well the next day I could barely move, needless to say the pain killers kept me sleeping through most of the pain. On Friday I went to my first round of therapy and at this point my right hip had joined in on the pain party.

The therapist had told me that basically I had suffered whiplash in my back and right hip and that I was not going to be able to return to work until sometime in the new year...when exactly they could not say as it would depend on how I responded to my treatment.

Well I explained all this to my boss yesterday over the phone, she said that she would be happy to wait for me to come back if it was in the new year ( as in right after the holidays ended) but that she could not wait longer than that...she would have to hire someone to replace me which meant I would be out of a job.

Now part of me was happy about this cause the thought of driving the commute especially after the accident was terrifying me...I am in no rush to drive anytime soon ANYWHERE!

But the other side of that coin is that I would loose what little money this job brought in and Christmas is 5 days AWAY!
We were counting on this money to help with Christmas and some bills....and it's not like I am able to go out and find another job anytime soon.

OK, now that I am finished ranting here is what I am thankful for:

I am still alive and able to be with my family....

I will be able to find more work in time once I heal....

Insurance will kick in and cover my lost wages and if I loose my job I have the option of recovering and potential lost wages....

Our car will be repaired and returned to us by Christmas Eve morning....

No one else was hurt in the other car....

And god willing I don't want to sue the other driver and I hope that the insurance will settle out with covering only whats needed....

ok that's it for now....Merry Christmas to Every one and thank goodness for pain killers as they have finally kicked in ;P

G's Cakes
Lizzy

6 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 7

Bless your heart. That's quite a story. I hope that things fall back into place for you very soon. You have a great attitude.

I'm still looking for a job, too. Luckily, the cake business helps a little. I'm thankful that my husband received his Social Security Disability just five months after he applied for it without having to hire an attorney and appeal a denial. It's not a lot of money, but it's steady and permanent. At least we know we can count on it.

Of course, most of all I'm thankful that my kid are healthy and happy.

Merry Christmas to you, and best wishes for an EASIER new year!

G_Cakes Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much Ruth and same to you and your family...

4 to 6 weeks before I can go back to work...but happy that I will recover....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 7

Wow great thread--so happy you're gonna be ok!!!

And I'm thankful nobody else was entering the intersection when you did!

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 7

When given lemons ..... make lemonade.

I love your attitude. I hope you recover completely from the accident. whiplash hurts. I was involved in an accident about 20 yrs ago that, unfortunately, cause long term damage to my back.

Take care of yourself. Thank you for sharing!

G_Cakes Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you K8memphis and Shelly....wow long term damage that is a thought that has crossed my mind as well as my hubbys...

Doctors said there would be no way to determine if there will be long term damage except time but I am hoping thats not the case.

The one thing that bothers me more than anything is that I can stand or sit for more that 30 mins without resting or stretching for about 10-15 mins...always readjusting positions, makes for a terrible sleep too...so my baking this year is all done by my youngest son Anthony.

He does all the leg work while I supervise LOL and I think he has a great future ahead of him as a baker/decorator icon_smile.gif

Last night he made pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes for my DH office party today and they came out perfect!

Today he wants to try his hand a NFSC and decorating them...

See how addictive CC is?!! it has now spread to my children LOL.

Any how thank you all again for the warm wishes and hope you all have a wonderful and safe holiday season icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Cakes

...so my baking this year is all done by my youngest son Anthony.

He does all the leg work while I supervise LOL and I think he has a great future ahead of him as a baker/decorator icon_smile.gif

Last night he made pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes for my DH office party today and they came out perfect!

Today he wants to try his hand a NFSC and decorating them...

See how addictive CC is?!! it has now spread to my children LOL.

Any how thank you all again for the warm wishes and hope you all have a wonderful and safe holiday season icon_smile.gif

Wow too cool!!! My son became a chef and he's worked in the finest restaurants in the country. He's gone worlds further than I even knew existed--in fine dining.

I think it's so sweet your boy is helping you and is so intrigued by it all. Another lovely blessing for you.
Merry times Merry huh. aka merry squared

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%