What Frosting Tip And Technique??

Decorating By apartyinyourtummy Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 7:09pm by Texas_Rose

apartyinyourtummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apartyinyourtummy Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 6

I am not sure what tip and technique I should use to frost these cupcakes. I'm attaching a picture (hope it works.. never done it before) PLease help me figure it out. THX!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 6

Any BIG round tip. A 12 probably isn't big enough but I don't remember the #s of the super sized ones. Maybe something like a 1D?

Just start piping at the outer edge and circle into the center - raising up the tip as you go. I'd sure a rather soft b'cream - maybe add cream cheese to soften it?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 6

You can also use just a coupler without a tip as long as it isn't a wilton coupler with the notch in it.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 6

Looks to me like a pastry tip like the ones at Bake It Pretty:


I would say the details are fondant or gumpaste. You could cut out those eyes and cheeks with the small end of a round tip (I'd have to experiment to get the right size, but maybe start with 3 for the eyes and 5 for the cheeks), and the mouth is just a small ball rolled out into a snake. The cherry, of course, is just a red ball... maybe 1/2 inch in diameter... stuck on top.


- Leisel

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 6

This type of cupcake icing is becoming quite popular, eh? I prefer the 2D tip look, but with the cute fondant face, those cupcakes are adorable!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 6

You can use a disposable piping bag and just cut the end to the size of hole that you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%