Ever Been Asked To Make Ur Own Cake?

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 26 Dec 2009 , 3:43am by cakesrock

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 31

Several of my close friends are organizing a baby shower for me. One asked me to make the cake. Offering to pay for everything -not that I would take money. She said it feels weird to buy me a Sams or Walmart cake which is is also willing to do. I was just wondering. Ever been asked to make your own celebration cake?

30 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 31

It's a compliment icon_biggrin.gif Your cakes are so good that your friends can't imagine having a party and having to settle for a Walmart cake icon_biggrin.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 31

My family feels bad that I make my own birthday cake. I'd RATHER make it then them buy it somewhere.

I did give them permission to buy my 30th birthday cake, however, they'd have to go to a speciality decorator. NOT a grocery store. I have 2 more birthdays before that happens.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 31

No one else in my family bakes and they all know I have less than enthusiastic feeling about store bought cakes. On top of that my birthday is Christmas Eve and we're usually celebrating with one family or another, so if I want birthday cake, I have to make it myself.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 31

Yes, on my 45th I was too busy to do my own cake. My sister bought a cake at a very upscale well known bakery in Houston. It was inedible! seriously, everyone took one bite then we put it back in the box and she took it back to them. They gave her her money back, but from that point on I guess I won't have them buy me a cake again. Heck a Walmart cake tastes better than that one did!

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:43am
post #6 of 31

I def. took it as a compliment! I was asking my husband I wonder whoelse has made thier own cakes and he said ,'Well, Ask the ppl on that cake site your always on!' I never have b.day parties for myself. i dont enjoy being the center of attention. But I cant get out of this one!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 12:58am
post #7 of 31

My friends ordered a babyshower cake from me before, but it was actually for the surprise baby shower they were thowing me.

KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:25am
post #8 of 31

I want to do my own cake because it gives me the oppurtunity to try a new technique or something different.

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:41am
post #9 of 31

My in-laws always get us a birthday cake (my husband's birthday is the day before mine so we celebrate them together), but this past year I asked if I could make it instead of her going out and buying it. I was just starting to make cakes, and I don't really like the cakes she used to get us! Not trying to sound mean, I was grateful for the gesture, but well, you know... icon_rolleyes.gif

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:56am
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

It's a compliment icon_biggrin.gif Your cakes are so good that your friends can't imagine having a party and having to settle for a Walmart cake icon_biggrin.gif

Ditto! I would feel very happy if someone thought I should make a cake in my own honor, just because they felt that Walmart wouldn't do. icon_razz.gif I would be more than happy to make my own cake, it would just get me more excited about the upcoming event.

anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 31

I made my own birthday cake this year. That way I got exactly what I wanted. And it was fun!

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 31

Yep, Did my own wedding cake.

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 31

I might be shunned from this site from saying this, but for my birthday I always ask for a DQ ice cream cake. I know its not really a cake, but they are just so yummy! But if I didnt have an ice cream addiction I would be making my own cake too.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 31

Texas Rose is right. It is a compliment to you. I make all my family's birthday cakes including my own. My brother's birthday and mine are only 3 days apart, so I always just make 1 for both of us. I would much rather make it myself than have someone go out and buy one and pay a lot of money for it. No Walmart or Sams cakes for me either, thank you.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims_cakes

I might be shunned from this site from saying this, but for my birthday I always ask for a DQ ice cream cake. I know its not really a cake, but they are just so yummy! But if I didnt have an ice cream addiction I would be making my own cake too.

shame on you...lol

I love those things also, I love me a cookie cake from The Cookie Company also, yummy!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #16 of 31

Give me a Culver's turtle cake any day of the week. I would be happy with that for my birthday!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 10:30pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:

Oh me too... I hate (eating) cake (and you thouht you'd be shunned icon_wink.gif). Ice cream cake rocks though.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:32pm
post #18 of 31
Quote:

icon_biggrin.gif In addition to making my own birthday cakes (I will also be making my own wedding cake next year) I also receive a "Fudgy the Whale" ice cream cake from Carvel most years. No shunning - ice cream cake is ok! thumbs_up.gif

jodibug0975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodibug0975 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 3:39pm
post #19 of 31

Yup, I had to make my own birthday cake this year and took it to the restaurant where my family was gathering to celebrate. Plus, I was on a diet and didn't get to eat any of it... but they all told me that my birthday cake was great!

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #20 of 31

I never make my own cake, although I do eat it at my celebration because my niece and I celebrate our birthdays together and I always make hers. Being that I do both of my sister's kid's cakes (one each for family party and one each for friends party), my sister always drives all the way across town to Prantl's Bakery here in Pittsburgh to get my favorite cake, Burnt Almond Torte. People are known to wait in line around the block to pick up their orders at certain times of the year for this torte and I and many others have tried and tried to copy it but nothing comes even close.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:04pm
post #21 of 31

forgot to add the link.....they now ship this wonderfully sinful gem!

http://www.shop.prantlsbakery.com/main.sc

yum!!!!

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:06pm
post #22 of 31

My opinion is different for baby shower cakes or such, but my most favorite birthday cake I've ever had was one that my two friends made from me. Everything was made from a box or taken straight from a can, but the fact that my two non-baker friends made me a cake made it taste especially delicious! And most importantly, I felt very loved that day. icon_smile.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:43pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie7224

No one else in my family bakes and they all know I have less than enthusiastic feeling about store bought cakes. On top of that my birthday is Christmas Eve and we're usually celebrating with one family or another, so if I want birthday cake, I have to make it myself.

ramie7224 - Happy Birthday my cc friend, no one in my family bakes either. My birthday is also Christmas Eve - like you said, usually everybody is so into their own Christmas preparations is no big deal. I'm thankful to have more birthdays and this time of year there's plenty of goodies.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:07pm
post #24 of 31

I made my own wedding cake and baby shower cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:20pm
post #25 of 31

I don't really care for cake all that much....but when someone DOES get me a cake....my favorite is a wal-mart cake LOL I know, I know...it's one of those loaf looking cakes...chocolate cake with bavarian cream filling and chocolate ganache all over the place it's sooooooooooooo good!!!!!! Only my CLOSEST friends and family members even know about this...I would NEVER tell my customers that I like ANYTHING that comes from Wal-Mart!!! lol

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:42pm
post #26 of 31

I wasn't asked...but I had a big birthday and I INSISTED on making myself a cake...unbeknownst to me, my husband had already ordered me a cake from Sylvia Weinstock because he said, "where could I order YOU a cake from except from the BEST." He was a little annoyed that I was so insistent on making myself a cake, but at my surprise party my cake and the SW cake were proudly displayed side by side! thumbs_up.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 4:56pm
post #27 of 31

There is one bakery - Three Brothers Bakery - where my family buys all of my birthday cakes, because I LOVE LOVE LOVE their cakes and because they would never ask me to make my own.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:08pm
post #28 of 31

My own birthday is so low key it's almost non-existent (took me years to train the family to get to this point!). My kids aren't even sure when it is ... they know it's in the winter time! icon_lol.gif And I'm not anti-age (I detest women who giggle and "like" being (falsely) accused of being younger) .... it's just that birthdays were never a big deal when I was growing up and I have this aversion to "celebrating" somethign that I didnt' actually do. It's the mom who does all of the work. We're just the end result! icon_lol.gif

*IF* I were to celebrate a birthday, the last thing I would want is cake. Pamper me with a nice dinner or something.

But if I were to have cake at my birthday, I wouldn't eat any cake other than mine. My last birthday was my 50th and I made a huge 3-tier cake for the event ... but it was also served at one of my fraternity caterings. I told them, "This is every old lady's dream ... to celebrate her 50th birthday with 169 good looking college guys!" icon_lol.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:35pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGiGi

My opinion is different for baby shower cakes or such, but my most favorite birthday cake I've ever had was one that my two friends made from me. Everything was made from a box or taken straight from a can, but the fact that my two non-baker friends made me a cake made it taste especially delicious! And most importantly, I felt very loved that day. icon_smile.gif

So true!

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 5:55pm
post #30 of 31

This thread just keeps getting funnier. I love all these confessions coming out!!

My birthday, my sister's birthday and my brother's birthday are all within a 4 day span. I always make the cake, I don't think I'd have it any other way.

Now I'm trying to think of the last time my family got a cake from a bakery for anything...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%