Houndstooth Design...

Decorating By KelMel Updated 21 Dec 2009 , 2:41am by KelMel

KelMel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelMel Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:06am
post #1 of 5

I was asked to do a houndstooth coat cake...I wasn't sure what design that was so I googled it and I'm not sure how I could go about making that particular design on a cake. Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

I haven't told her yes or no yet...

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #2 of 5

Maybe a stencil on fondant? That would probably be the fastest way, but you'd have to be careful to be pretty precise.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 5

KelMel, have you seen this brillante inventions?
Might you have time to order and use.
It would be just perfet for what you are looking for to do.
Your customer would be in awe - thumbs_up.gif

I love the houndstooth design - so classic - so classy.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=CD5058&c2p=hp&bhcd2=1261273362

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Harleyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harleyfan Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 5

The Stampin'Up! stamp company made a houndstooth background stamp that has since been retired. However, you might find it on Ebay or Craigslist. Stampin'Up!'s background stamps are usually a pretty nice size... somewhere in the 4" x 6" range, give or take. I want to say I remember seeing one posted on CL (Raleigh, NC) about a week ago.

I mention the stamp because I've seen Martha Stewart, or someone, use stamps on fondant to get a nice impression. Anyway, hope this helps!

Edited to add that the stamp certainly wouldn't be as easy, probably, as the edible image on the site Bluehue suggested. That looked awesome!

KelMel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KelMel Posted 21 Dec 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I'm going to look into all of them. She's still undecided about what she wants [now she's thinking maybe cookies]... Either way this is good information to know!

I'm going to check Raleigh CL since it's only 2hrs away! icon_smile.gif

Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%