Nfsc

Baking By geraldb Updated 20 Dec 2009 , 6:57pm by PDXSweetTreats

geraldb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geraldb Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 7

i made the NFSC and noticed that they had a flour taste to them. what am i doing wrong. I love the recicpie because the cookies don't spread and i found it easy to work with. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 4:55am
post #2 of 7

Make sure to follow the measurements exactly and try mixing it a little longer. Also, I always use bleached flour instead of unbleached.

Kelly

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 8:02am
post #3 of 7

Hi! I made these two days ago for the first time and loved them. I used a fairly expensive butter -- Kerrygold Pure Irish Butter (it's like $4.49 per 8 oz.), but it was "heavenly" the way it creamed up with the sugar. But any good quality butter should work as well. I also used 1 tsp. pure Madagascar bourbon vanilla and one tsp. pure almond extract for the flavoring (instead of all vanilla or all almond). The other thing I did was to aerate the flour before I measured it, in order not to put too much flour in. Too much flour makes for a tougher dough and alters the taste, too. Sometimes the first time I try a recipe it doesn't work quite right, so give it another go. I think this is a really good recipe. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm
post #4 of 7

you should definitely try measuring the flour by weight (there's another thread about that on here somewhere). Too much flour will make is stiff, crumbly, and I imaging might yield that floury taste you were describing.

I always use unbleached flour with no problems.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 7

I roll the dough out on powdered sugar instead of flour. Maybe give that a try

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 7

Also make sure to use real butter and no imitation flavoring, it really makes a difference.

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 7

Hey, Geraldb -- One other thing: Try rolling your dough between two sheets of parchment paper. That way you're not adding in any extra flour. Someone mentioned rolling out using powdered sugar, and that's a good option, too. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%