I Want To Vomit!

Decorating By jakenheather Updated 22 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm by kjt

jakenheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakenheather Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 20

I just got the pic of the cake idea for a wedding cake I am doing in a few weeks for a girl at work. I am so nervous because she wants a square cake... the design doesn't seem that hard... but square!! I dread square cakes.

Any tips on those perfect corners and edges would be appreciated.

She also told me to make it three tiers for about 50 people. So I am thinking 12, 8, 4 (do they make a 4?), if not it will have to be 14,10,6 and there will just be left over cake.

Also, the votives, has anyone ever put those on the cake? Do I need to put supports in? I would think so...

Thank you CCers. Just stressin over this.

SO it will not let me add the pic. It is a 4 tier twisted square cake with RI snowflakes with some glitter in it. And when it is twisted the corners stick out and have votives on the corners. Very pretty cake, just square

19 replies
Rikki0422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rikki0422 Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 20

youtube has some videos for covering square cakes icon_biggrin.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 20

My cousin had votives on the corners of her square wedding cake. It was done in buttercream and I don't think the decorator put in supports because the corners of the cake ended up bowing a little bit as the evening wore on. Very pretty effect though.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 20

I loathe doing square cakes too but this might help

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 20

always do the corners first and the rest will practically fall into place on square cakes. good luck

jakenheather Posted 18 Dec 2009 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 20

Thanx ladies for your help... I am really stressing... and it is all BC no MMF. that's why I am stressing even more!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:06am
post #7 of 20

IDK about a 4" pan, but just bake in the 8" pan 1/4 the height that you need, cut and stack. Really simple icon_smile.gif

I have started using the upside down method for icing squares and I am loving it!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:08am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

IDK about a 4" pan, but just bake in the 8" pan 1/4 the height that you need, cut and stack. Really simple icon_smile.gif

I have started using the upside down method for icing squares and I am loving it!

don't mean to hijack the thread, but what is the upside down method?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #9 of 20

CC article on "How To Frost a Square Cake & Get Crisp Corners with Buttercream"

http://cakecentral.com/articles/109/how-to-frost-a-square-cake

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 12:50am
post #10 of 20

I have put votives on a cake. When they are close to the edge, I think they need support. You remember those supports that Pizza Hut used to use to keep the top of the box from mashing the pizza? My daughter used them for tables for her barbie doll. I put one of the into the cake first and then set the votive on top. It distributes the weight and works great.
http://family.webshots.com/photo/1200557405048684272lvOZNf

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:01am
post #11 of 20

Here's a thread with photos I did on how I do square corners. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=529543&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Seriously, it's all a matter of practice. I LUV doing square cakes. If I could throw out my round pans and just do squares, I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakenheather

She also told me to make it three tiers for about 50 people. So I am thinking 12, 8, 4 (do they make a 4?), if not it will have to be 14,10,6 and there will just be left over cake.

This is going to be a LOT of cake. 1x2x4 is the industry standard which means a 4/8/12 will serve 8/32/72 = 112 servings.

A 6/10/14 will serve 18/50/98 = 166 servings.

A 6/8/10 serves 18/32/50 = 100 servings.

Here's the chart to show servings: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

Here's how to cut the cake to achieve those servings: http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html

Here's pics of 1x2x4 cake pieces. Notice they are NOT "paper thin" like most people think when they hear the words "one inch"" http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #12 of 20

Here's an upside down method. IDK if this is what you're looking for or not.
http://www.ladycakes.com/frosting_cake_upside_down.htm

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:38am
post #13 of 20

I just did my first tier square cake, like you I was VERY nervous to do the square cakes, especially after viewing youtube viedos saying it was harder. It was different but the viedos above help. Not are scary as I thought it would be. GOOD LUCK ,

jakenheather Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:47am
post #14 of 20

You guys rock, I really appreciate the help. The upside down method looks really interesting. Thank you guys for all of the links. I just want this cake to turn out good. The pic she sent me has bulges and DH said he doesn't think it even looked level or had straight edges. SO I am hoping I can beat the cake in the pic!!!

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #15 of 20

I'm with Indydebi...thats going to be a lot of cake!! I also had a customer want 4 tier cake for 30-40 people lol!!! You just have to tell them that its too much cake and either they pay for the extra servings or just adjust the sizes of the pans or even consider making 2 tiers?? Just my opinion

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 2:45am
post #16 of 20

Maybe a dummy for one of the tiers?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:23am
post #17 of 20

The way I do square cakes and even round cakes is that I have my cake board about 1/4" larger on all sides and then add your buttercream. I use a straight edge spackle thingy and use the cake board as my guide. I rest the spackle knife flat on my surface and also flat against the cake board and that gives me the perfect sides and corners.

I do a lot of square cakes. I have more photos on my website.
LL

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Dec 2009 , 5:30am
post #18 of 20

I hate doing squared cakes because of the corners too. Sugarshacks videos are great. Another tip that happened to be a *duh* moment for me years ago was to use magic line pans because the corners are on a perfect angle unlike other companies pans.

cmalin3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmalin3 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 20

If it helps...you can get cake pans down to about 2". I just replaced all my old Wilton pans with Magic Line pans, and ended up buying the rounds from 2-18" and the squares from 4-18" (I couldn't find a 2" square). Well worth every penny!

Don't recall if I can recommend specific retailers here, but if you want more info please feel free to PM me.

Best of luck!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I hate doing squared cakes because of the corners too. Sugarshacks videos are great.

Ditto! if you don't have time, or funds right now to order her DVD, she has a video on youtube about icing a round cake smooth. She has a few short tips at the end about straight corners on a square cake...see if you can find it. Basically the "trick" is to start beyond the corner and draw your spatula toward the middle, that way you don't pull the edge of your corner off hope that makes sense icon_rolleyes.gif .
Good luck, and use SPS for stacking so you won't be nervous during transport! thumbs_up.gif

I found the youtube link-hope it works!

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/buttercreamdvd.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%