Luster Dust And Vodka...how Much?

Decorating By chyna Updated 19 Jan 2007 , 5:55am by chyna

chyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyna Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 5:17am
post #1 of 10

how much luster dust to how much vodka?

Can I use one of those pump-up oil sprayer things to spray the mixture?

I'm trying to make a disco ball.

Should I colour the icing slightly grey first? (fondant and b/c)

9 replies
katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:02am
post #2 of 10

Well, this is the only image I could find of a disco ball cake just for my own reference in color help.

http://www.partysquad.com.au/party-themes-disco.htm

I have used silver on white fondant and it takes a couple of coats. You can always die your fondant first. Usually that works better. It would be super cool if you could make the squares with silver leafing but I imagine that is expensive.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:15am
post #3 of 10

icon_smile.gif hi yes i would tint icing slightly gray. i've done royal icing and fondant . much richer color good luck

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 10

When I paint, I notice that it takes several coats to get it to the shine I want. Paint one coat and let it dry and paint another if you feel it's necessary.

You'll just need a little of the vodka or lemon extract , just enough to wet the brush and then dab into the powder with it to mix it up, load up the brush and paint a little on the plate and you'll see when it's the right painting consistency.

Good luck!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 10

I say a good bottle of vodka makes everything look good!

chyna Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:21am
post #6 of 10

anyone that does airbrushing....how do you mix your dust?

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:32am
post #7 of 10

well, i think the way it goes is this: dip; brush; chug... dip; brush; chug etc.. the more u chug the easier it gets icon_biggrin.gif Cant guarantee the results but you've had one heck of a time painting a cake!!!

chyna Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:59am
post #8 of 10

k, all the vodka jokes are fun or would be if I drank, but I really need some information regarding this cake...I need to paint it tomorrow.

Anyone?

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 5:46am
post #9 of 10

icon_smile.gif You only need a couple drops of vodka or REAL lemon extract like 90 percent I think Put vodka in cap of jar with a little dust that way when you are done you wont waste whats left just let it dry in cap and screw back on jar. just get it wet enough to paint with. good luck.

chyna Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 5:55am
post #10 of 10

good idea!

Now, I have to paint a fairly large area....I wonder if there's any better way? If nothing else comes to mind, I'll do that. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%