Has Anyone Made Checkerboard Cake Using Cake Ring Cut-Outs?

Decorating By Nellical Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 3:49am by icer101

Nellical Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nellical Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 3

I have tried the trick of baking a checkerboard with the cake rings in the pan while adding the batter then removing the rings. Always a disappointment. On one of the "Cake Boss" episodes (tv show not software) from last season, Buddy made an anniversary cake for his wife and cut the cakes in rings, switched out the rings to make the checkerboard and assembled the cake with a hazelnut filling.

My son if getting married and wants that cake now that he saw Buddy do it. I am concerned that when the cake is cut, those pieces in the layers will fall apart before the servers get it to the plates icon_eek.gif , even if I coat each layer with a good slathering of ganache. Plus my DIL to be wants a hexagonal cake. I'm not too concerned about the shape, just the structure.

Has anyone done this before? I've searched the forums and came up with nada.

Thanks in advance!

Nel

2 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 3

i have done this before, but not on any grand scale. mostly 8" and 9" cakes (at a bakery), i jsut cut circles using deep cookie cutters, switched out, filled and iced. I think the filling holds it all together, not sure how it will hold up for being cut into wedding servings, but it houldn;t be that much of a problem.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 3

i did one several weeks ago.. for my son and dil anniversary. they requested it. i used the chocolate layers and yellow layers and cut with round 5" circle and 3" circle. it did great. i have the pic .. but have not uploaded it on c/c/.. i was very proud and they were too. but i don,t know how it would do as a wedding cake. it cut great though.. so it should cut ok for the wedding cake.. .. it was 8"x4"... hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%