Ovens - Survey

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 19 Dec 2009 , 10:14pm by ZlatkaT

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 7

I sawed some $$ and am in need to buy a new oven for my kitchen (home, not business). I would like to ask you if I may, which oven you have and why are you happy with it. Is convention oven better that gas? Is stainless steel hard to keep clean and shiny? etc etc...
What brand do you have? Pros - cons
Thank you for you time, it will help me decide which way to go.

6 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 7

I have the GE profile, gas convection which I love. It has a stove top on top and 2 ovens underneath (not a warming drawer which I find is a waste). I picked the GE because it has the biggest oven inside. (Take your biggest cake pan with you when you shop, saves a headache later). I use the convection feature when I bake and get great results all the time. Mine is stainless but you will see that the top is black(It is that way with all stainless stoves, it is only stainless on the front). HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 7

I recently got a Samsung oven for my home business, I guess about 6 months ago or so. Overall and so far, I really like it. The best part is that Samsung and LG both provide extra interior space. I have three racks in mine, can bake 6 dozen cupcakes at one time. (I got the regular model and bought an extra rack because there's plenty of room for it.) With the extra room it has a bit of extra width and height than other regular ovens so you can fit more cake pans side by side.

It has both regular and convection, but I use regular for cakes and cookies...the convection fans seem to brown cake too fast. It has all the features you'd want in an oven/stove. I use convection for stuff like pizza or casseroles or whatever.

The cooktop is a shiny black...probably kinda easy to smear and scratch but on the other hand really pretty to look at, and nice and shiny after you clean it. The color overall is black/stainless.

It cost $899 on sale at Best Buy and then I ordered the third rack online.

The only thing I don't really like is that although its cool that the bottom element is hidden, it seems like the bottom is SO hot that if any bit of cake drips on the bottom, it smokes and stinks very severely and I have to immediately try to remove it. I also made the mistake of putting foil on the bottom to avoid drips and a few pieces of the foil actually melted to the bottom and I can't get it off, even after a built in cleaning. The only other very minor drawback is that I have to remember not to put the cakes in before the oven is preheated, because the fans run to heat the oven and if you put a cake near the fan when its still preheating, you end up with a golden brown crust on your batter! But I have never actually ruined a cake that way.

But being able to bake extra cake and cookies at one time is worth that drawback, and the stovetop works great too. Also has a warming drawer at the bottom and a dough proofing setting for the oven.

Oh. And although I got mine at Best Buy, I'd highly recommend getting appliances at Lowe's. I have gotten other appliances at Lowe's and they have the best customer service and the cheapest extended warranties. They've always treated us great with appliance sales.

ZlatkaT Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you, so far as I read here and there, convention ovens are not so good for baking cake and cookies, for which I will mostly my new oven use. Hmm. My husband keeps saying, that convention oven should be better and bake more even?? My old oven is going downhill, and it always burns cookies which are on the site of baking sheet.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 7

Convection does bake more evenly and we just bought a gas convection Blodgett for our cake design studio and love it

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 7

I have a ge profile slide in oven. I have had it for about 6 or 7 years now its a stainless steal model and looks as good today as it did the day we put it in. Oh it is electric with a glass cook top and convection oven. I do have the option to bake with out convection but rarely do.

If you buy convection make sure to get one with a two stage fan (high/low or bake/roast option) also, its very useful to be able to turn off the convection and bake with the standard option, incase you don't like baking with convection then you won't be kicking yourself later.

ZlatkaT Posted 19 Dec 2009 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you ladies for your responses, I think I am going to look at convention oven with the switch off the fan for baking my cookies and cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%