First Time Using Tylose Powder

Decorating By Adevag Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 11:01pm by Adevag

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 5

So after reading and learning about the tylose powder I finally found it and bought it! My understanding is that it will make gum paste but I just want to make sure. Can I make fondant that I need for my cake, put some of that regular fondant aside and add this tylose powder to make the fondant into gum paste? If this is right it would be wonderful. I am trying to make fondant and gum paste the same colors and this would make it so much easier.
So, if this is right, how much tylose powder to I add?

4 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 5

I have used tylose in fondant quite a few times. I like it. It works great for me. I have never used gumpaste.
I'm not sure that adding tylose to fondant makes it gumpaste. Gumpaste has egg whites in it.

You can add the tylose to your fondant to make it dry faster and make figures dry hard. Add 2tsp per pound of fondant. HTH!

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 5

Edna has a gumpaste video.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, by adding tylose (cmc or gum tex) to your fondant, you are essentially making gum paste. It acts the same way that a scratch (egg white) gum paste will act. You may not be able to roll it quite as thin, but the results will be fine.

Mixing the tylose in with MMF can be tricky. Sometimes the results are not ideal, especially if the MMF is on the dry side to start with.

Mixing it with MFF is usually better. Mixing it with Satin Ice, FondX, or Wilton fondant gives superior results--1 level tsp to 1lb of SI or FondX, 1/2 heaping tsp to 1lb of Wilton.

Knead it in well and if you have time, let it sit for at least 10 minutes to activate completely. Keep it well wrapped in saran or in an airtight zip loc bag.

Have fun!
Rae

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much. Now I am ready to give this a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%