Pearl Clay ??

Decorating By lecrn Updated 15 Dec 2009 , 11:27pm by tiggy2

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 21

I'm excited to try choc. pearl clay for the 1st time to make a pearl border.
I have a few questions for those of you that have worked with it:
Can I make the pearls ahead of time (like 3-4 days)?
If I keep them in an airtight container will they remain flexible?
I'm going to use make n mold candy wafers instead of the ones recommended on the dvd (I can't get the ones recommended without high shipping). Has anyone tried the recipe with these melts?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, or if interested, the recipe for the pearl clay can be found on Jenn Dontz's dvd Fondant Frills:
http://www.jenniferdontz.com/estore.php?category=dvds

Thanks!!

20 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 21

I haven't used that brand but I have used CK brand and they worked fine. However, using a different brand of fondant didn't work well at all.

lecrn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I haven't used that brand but I have used CK brand and they worked fine. However, using a different brand of fondant didn't work well at all.

Can I ask what kind of fondant that you used that didn't work?
Thanks.

tiggy2 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 21

I used Satin Ice

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 21

I have used it, and even letting them set out exposed, they stay soft and felxible! I LOVE that recipe. Looking forward to getting her NEW DVD that is just out too! icon_biggrin.gif

lecrn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I used

That's disappointing. SI is what I usually use.

Thx to both for the info.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 21

I think Jennifer uses Pettinice.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 21

i use her pearl clay a lot. i made orchids last week for a cake.. i have made small poinsettias this week for another cake.. and christmas roses.. i use it for the pearls also. but i made them right then and put on cake. i guess you could make them ahead and keep for a few days in freezer bags. then lay a damp cloth on top of the bag. nick lodge does this . and it helps keep them softer.. hth.. i do use her recipe for the pearl clay exactly..

tiggy2 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

I think Jennifer uses Pettinice.

That is what she uses and it's what I have switched to. Satin Ice was just way too soft.

lecrn Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 21

Yes, it's Pettinice. I haven't tried it yet. I don't cover many cakes with fondant, but order it for decor. The last cake I covered with fondant, I used Fondx. I like it a lot better than SI. I may try to make the pearl clay with the Fondx I have.
I'll probably end up making the pearls from fondant & tylose b/c I don't have time to order the Pettinice. I'll be cussing the whole time I'm making them!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 21

I use Jennifer Dontz's recipes for fondant and pearl clay. The fondant is Pettinice and the chocolate is Merckens. I love her fondant and the workability that you get from it. I only use SI if I need black or red.

I also use her pearl clay recipe and it tastes great and is very easy to work with. I use the clay for making the pearls and they turn out just great. I am not sure how flexible the pearls would remain if you made them ahead of time. You could PM her (JenniferMI) or go to her website (SugarDelites) and email her and she would be able to give you the info that you need.

I have both of her DVD's and plan on getting her newest one shortly.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 21

I just bought both of her dvd's too, and am about to get the third one,
she does use merkens, and pettinice, and her's is sold at a very reasonsble price on her site, and I live in NY and when I order I get it two days later, she is very nice and usually ships the next day, and she answers all of your Questions without any problems, her email is [email protected], and she recommends when you use any of her recipies, use the ingredients, that she suggests, for best results, at least the first time, and her dvd did say that her recipie's does not work with satin ice.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 21

I'll just jump right in here and anyone who's paid any attention knows I'm like the BIGGEST fan in the world of this pearl clay stuff!! icon_lol.gif I have used Pettinice as recommended by Jen and also Satin Ice. Now I've never had a problem either way, but if Jen recommends Pettinice, then by all means that's what you should use. The candy melts will also make a difference -- use super white or you will have yellow pearls. icon_confused.gif I made it out of red fondant and red candy melts one time and it was SOOOOOOO oily I couldn't work with it. So your ingredients WILL make a difference. Oh and I've made pearls on Thursday for a Sunday cake with no problems. Just keep them covered in plastic wrap and you should be fine. icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I'm excited to try choc. pearl clay for the 1st time to make a pearl border.
I have a few questions for those of you that have worked with it:
Can I make the pearls ahead of time (like 3-4 days)?
If I keep them in an airtight container will they remain flexible?
I'm going to use make n mold candy wafers instead of the ones recommended on the dvd (I can't get the ones recommended without high shipping). Has anyone tried the recipe with these melts?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, or if interested, the recipe for the pearl clay can be found on Jenn Dontz's dvd Fondant Frills:
http://www.jenniferdontz.com/estore.php?category=dvds

Thanks!!

Hi!
Everyone has given good advice. With my recipes, I HIGHLY recommend using only the exact brands the first time around. If you don't you really won't know how they should come out or perform. I'm not saying other brands won't work, but some produce very different results.

You can make them a couple days in advance. I put them in a shallow container covered loosely with plastic wrap, then the lid on tight. Pearl clay takes a VERY long time to dry. We had a ribbon out on the table, exposed to the air, and after FIVE hours, it still was pliable and not cracking. It's cool and very tasty stuff.

I would not use another brand of either the fondant or the chocolate the first time. You might say...gee...I'm not liking this or that, but in reality, the brands make the difference. I don't think Satin Ice has a consistent product from batch to batch... just my opinion. Like with my choc. fondant, some have used SI and it works, others not. Pettinice works everytime for me icon_smile.gif

If I can help more, yell ok?

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

she does use merkens, and pettinice, and her's is sold at a very reasonsble price on her site, and I live in NY and when I order I get it two days later, she is very nice and usually ships the next day, and she answers all of your Questions without any problems, her email is [email protected], and she recommends when you use any of her recipies, use the ingredients, that she suggests, for best results, at least the first time, and her dvd did say that her recipie's does not work with .

Also Jen offers flat rate box shipping for 9.85, if it is less she refunds, the difference, if it is more she bills another invoice for payments, I order from her all the time, she is great to work with, and we need to help out small businesses like ourselves. and no I do not work for her, I am just a dedicated customer.

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:

Quote:

she does use merkens, and pettinice, and her's is sold at a very reasonsble price on her site, and I live in NY and when I order I get it two days later, she is very nice and usually ships the next day, and she answers all of your Questions without any problems, her email is [email protected], and she recommends when you use any of her recipies, use the ingredients, that she suggests, for best results, at least the first time, and her dvd did say that her recipie's does not work with .

Also Jen offers flat rate box shipping for 9.85, if it is less she refunds, the difference, if it is more she bills another invoice for payments, I order from her all the time, she is great to work with, and we need to help out small businesses like ourselves. and no I do not work for her, I am just a dedicated customer.

I know, you'd think I work for her the way I carry on about her products!! icon_lol.gif

JenniferMI Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:36pm
post #17 of 21

Ok.....you girls are HIRED!!!!

LOL!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Uniqueask Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

Ok.....you girls are HIRED!!!!

LOL!

Jen icon_smile.gif

I'll take the job.

I can't wait to get to make some of your sugar flowers.

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:42pm
post #19 of 21

Me too!! icon_lol.gif I'll take it in trade for cake toys!! icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 9:45pm
post #20 of 21

Hmmm, I could get used to having some help..... I work alone icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 15 Dec 2009 , 11:27pm
post #21 of 21

I order from her too and the service couldn't be better! Fast shipping and she is always willing to give instructions and help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%