How Much Did U Pay For Your Wilton Course #3 Class?

Decorating By imnamor95 Updated 30 Aug 2007 , 5:26am by balletcakes

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:39am
post #1 of 26

I went to see about taking the class at the baking supply where I buy my supplies but they were asking $70!! I couldn't believe it! And u still had to buy the kit and whatever u needed! I took course 1&2 in ACMoore, and I only paid $20-$25 each! So, now I have to call tomorrow and see if I can take the class there for Feb. How disappointing. I wanted to take the class somewhere else to see if I could learn something dif but, I can't dish out that amt of money right now. icon_eek.gif

25 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:52am
post #2 of 26

That is really weird, all my classes were $20-$30. And I know that at some Michaels they will have a special where the class is free if you buy the kit. $70 is really out of line.

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 3:09am
post #3 of 26

Michaels for $10.00 starts end of Feb.
$30. class is half price right now, also got a $5.00 coupon from course 2 to apply against it.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:34am
post #4 of 26

I took Wilton's cake decorating I, II, and III at Michael's and paid either $12.50 (half-price special) or took it free when I bought my course kit (used my 40% and 50% off coupons, too).

The pricing you received was waaaay out of line.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:35am
post #5 of 26

I did take Wilton classes at a cake supply store that cost around $60 and you had to buy the kit on top of that. However, it was the regular four week class and then two extra weeks where we learned extra stuff not taught in the other Wilton classes.

After I took them I retook the classes at Michael's and it was much much cheaper. You can always use the 40% off coupon for the kit and sign up when it is 1/2 price or a free kit month.

The extra two weeks were not really worth the extra money I spent at the cake supply store. I say wait and go with the cheaper place.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 6:49am
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fronklowes

I took Wilton's cake decorating I, II, and III at Michael's and paid either $12.50 (half-price special) or took it free when I bought my course kit (used my 40% and 50% off coupons, too).

The pricing you received was waaaay out of line.

I got the same deal... and I agree $70 is TOO much! Hope you find your class at your local Michael's or AC Moore. Good luck!

tmdoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmdoxie Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 9:50am
post #7 of 26

I paid a total of 37.50 for all of my Wilton Courses. I cant wait until next year, they are going to offer an Advanced Fondant and Gumpaste course.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 9:58am
post #8 of 26

I did all my classes at Hobby Lobby and paid $12.50 for the course(that was the half off special) and I used my 40% coupon for my kits. I plan on taking the gumpaste course when they offer it. And I am sure it won't be full price. And I will use my coupon again for the kit. icon_eek.gif WOW I can't believe you would have to pay so much icon_eek.gif Good Luck with your classes

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 10:33am
post #9 of 26

I just started Wilton I (done the first class so far) and paid 100 for it! It is the first Wilton class in Ireland, so I guess they can charge a premium for it! When I booked it they said everything is included, but when got there I found they don't provide the kit, which I assumed they would for that price - it costs another 35! icon_surprised.gif

I'm very dissapointed with it so far. In the first class we watched the instructor ice the cake very badly, she couldn't even finish it off as it was coming away with chunks of crumbs, and she didn't demonstate the icing tip, just slapped it on and spread out with a spatula!

And the class buttercream is another thing I have an issue with - the shortening needed to make it is not available in the shops here, so they've had some specially shipped in and are providing it for us to use in class, but whats the point of teaching us to pipe with something that we won't be able to buy again after the classes have finished! I'd really love t use my regular all-butter buttercream recipe that I love, but I don't think I'll be allowed.

Hopefully the next class will be better....

Sorry for the long vent, I feel better now I've got that off my chest! icon_lol.gif

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 11:02am
post #10 of 26

Ok here is a thought I don't know if it will work for you. They offer videos by wilton on there site. And her in America you can check them out at our libaries for free. They show everything the courses do. Sometimes it is more helpful to be there and have that experience. But sometimes like in your case it maybe better to explore other options. CC and the wilton site have very good tutorials on how to do different things. So explore and learn where you can. Good Luck PS. CC members are always helpful So just ask and you will usually get your answers.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:14pm
post #11 of 26

You won't believe what it costs for the classes here in Saudi Arabia! There is only one place that teaches the Wilton Method (but not by WMI, so you don't get a Wilton certificate), and they charge $215 for what is equivalent to Course 1,2, or 3!

Julie icon_smile.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:26pm
post #12 of 26

I feel so badly for all of you 'out of towners' that don't live in the good ol' U.S.A. for the prices that you are paying for your Wilton classes. I also only pay $12.50 for the class at Michaels. I ALWAYS use the coupons for the kits if needed. For those type of prices that you need to pay, I'd rely on this site for help. It's not that difficult although it's the 'seeing' part of everything that is helpful if you are inexperienced. I would never pay those type of prices. I think most of us are self taught with the classes as a bonus help. I don't know if Wilton has videos or if someone on this site has produced a video, but I certainly would check into something else. I feel bad that you can't enjoy the fun that we do without paying such a fee!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:34pm
post #13 of 26

Most independent decorators do charge more for Wilton classes. Remember they have a lot more overhead to pay for themselves. The whole scam of any store is to advertise something cheap and make up your cost somewhere else on product in the store. Wilton's main idea for classes is to sell their product. Independent decorators have product to sell but most likely its not there main business. Thus they need to charge more for classes.

FuturamaFanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FuturamaFanatic Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:36pm
post #14 of 26

Awww, now don't pity us non-americans too much, we've got other good things going for us!! tapedshut.gif
Here in Canada, the course at Micheals is $35.99, and the special varies from 1/2 price course, to getting the kit for 1 cent, to signing up a friend for free. And with the coupons, it's pretty reasonable.

We also have Wilton courses available at Bulk Barn where they're onlu $25, but they're pretty stupid (as that's where I took course1) because they just set up a table in the middle of the store and everyone stops and watches your class.
Yeah, then the instructor leaves and starts talking to them and ignoring their students, YES GRACE, I AM TALKING ABOUT YOU!!!! (just a little bitter!)

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:53pm
post #15 of 26

I took all 3 courses at a cake speciality shop in the city where I used to live. I think I paid $35 or so per class plus the cost of the kit. I knew it was a little bit more expensive than Michaels and AC Moore, but I wanted to support my local cake store!

jarjam1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jarjam1026 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 12:57pm
post #16 of 26

I too paid 12.50 for my classes and bought my supplies wtih a 40% off coupon. I decided to retake the classes with another instructor and i've learned a few more tricks i didn't learn with the first. Good luck

imnamor95 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 1:11pm
post #17 of 26

Yeah, I am def gonna go back and take the class at the ACMoore. I told the guy(that charges $70) yesterday, "oh well...I guess I'll just take the classes over there and use u as my supply place. U make out better anyway bc I keep on coming back here, for everything I need instead of just paying the $70 once and not coming back". He agreed. Oh, in ACMoore u cannot use the coupons for the classes! But, since it's so cheap, it doesn't really bother me. I DEF use the coupon for the course kits though. And I just LOVE the ind supply store bc they don't ONLY sell Wilton products. They have a small selection of Wilton things and they have a ton of other names to choose from. I love that about them. Wilton products tend to be more expensive, IMO. So, now, I can't wait to start the course #3! My mother keeps on harassing me bc she wants me to do some fondant cakes for some people in her job, lol. So, hopefully, I'll be able to learn in time. Thx for all ur input! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 1:20pm
post #18 of 26

Here they cost $39.00 plus the kit- which to me is a lot of $ with only one income icon_sad.gif i keep waiting for a better deal-the only michaels is 30 miles away which in the winter and with gas $ is even more!! so i guess ill keeo waiting- has anyone seen the videos?? are they any good -i know they dont replace a live demo but they can be picked up at auction fairly cheep- just curious

AshleyLogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLogan Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 1:22pm
post #19 of 26

Hey guys
How long are these courses that you are taking?
I took an 8 week (once per week) evening course here in toronto and it cost me about $240.

imnamor95 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 1:26pm
post #20 of 26

They r 4 week, once a week, classes.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:36pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnamor95

Oh, in ACMoore u cannot use the coupons for the classes! But, since it's so cheap, it doesn't really bother me.

Michaels does not allow you to use coupons on the classes either.

As of 1/6/07 the price of the Wilton Courses has gone up to $30 at Michaels. But with the montly promotions you hardly ever pay that. Feb will be half off so it will be $15. March is by the Kit (yes you can use a coupon on it) get the class free. And April will be 40% off I believe.

I'm not sure about the other store promotions but maybe some of those instructors can help you out.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:42pm
post #22 of 26

I paid $12.50 for my course 3 class!

A few years ago the local community college was offering Wilton courses and charging around $80 or so...so I know what you mean! That is ridiculous!!! thumbsdown.gif

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:46pm
post #23 of 26

i paid $12.50 too... 2 for 1 deal so my mom took all the courses with me... she didn't even want to do the 3rd one but i made her come with me... she never even bought the kit or anything... hehe...

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:47pm
post #24 of 26

OMG, the Wilton 3 class costs more than US $200 here in Hong Kong. There's only one store in HK that teaches the Wilton classes, so they corner the market. Everything at this store is double to triple the prices in the U.S... a 10" cake box sells for $2.56! I've taken course 1 here (US $200), but am too cheap to take courses 2 and 3. I bought the kits online and now learning on my own (and from you gals).

jcakes17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes17 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 2:57pm
post #25 of 26

I teach the classes for Michaels and our price is $30. It was $25 and then they would offer some type of offer with that , like 1/2 your class, bring a friend free, Buy the kit ( which ranges from $20 -$25) and your class is free ( a tip is buy the kit with 40% off coupon). Starting in Feb. The price goes up to $30 So you would pay $15 for a half price instead of $12.50. You do get your books free, and after course one you get whats called a bounce back coupon the gives you $5 off you next class and you get one of those for each class after that so it would only cost $10 if it was half off.

balletcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
balletcakes Posted 30 Aug 2007 , 5:26am
post #26 of 26

Hello

I'll be moving to El Paso, TX and later to Saudi Arabia depends upon if hubby gets a job transfer. If anyone has lived in Saudi Arabia do you know if they have craft or cake supply stores there. Otherwise I'll buy all my cake supplies here before moving there. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%