Imbc, Under Fondant? Dominican Merinque Buttercream

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 1:40am by tgress13

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:43am
post #1 of 9

I have a customer who is requesting IMBC. I have never used it or made it before, so Im a little worried. She wants it under fondant. Is that possible? Also, does it need to be refridgerated? Is this an icing for advanced pastry chefs and such? I feel like Ive heard before that it is difficult to make and get it right. Is the consistancy similar to BC? I found one recipe that uses butter and shortening. Is this the same with all meringue buttercreams? She said she had it at a spanish bakery, but I dont see any recipes for a spanish meringue buttercream. Is this the italian she most likely tried?

Oh wow, ok NM I just found my recipe for meringue icing (dominican). I totally forgot I had that recipe. There is no butter or shortening in this one.

Its 3/4 C water, 3 C sugar, 8 egg whites, 1 tsp dominican vanilla.

Is this type of meringue buttercream ok under fondant? Anyone know is it difficult to make? Is it soft like icing? Does it crust? Im really a bit nervous about this.

8 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Oh wow, ok NM I just found my recipe for meringue icing (dominican). I totally forgot I had that recipe. There is no butter or shortening in this one.

Its 3/4 C water, 3 C sugar, 8 egg whites, 1 tsp dominican vanilla.

Is this type of meringue buttercream ok under fondant?

Your recipe is for meringue icing or 7 minute type frosting.

Meringue buttercreams, like American buttercreams have fat (usually butter) as one of their basic ingredients.

If your customer requested IMBC, she won't be happy with the Dominican meringue frosting - they're two completely different types of frosting.

And yes, you certainly can use IMBC under fondant.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the meringue buttercreams:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6011176.html#6011176

JCE62108 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 9

Ive been looking at those threads you gave me, but none of them mentions the dominican style meringue icing. This is actually what she wants. I got confused, but the IMBC is not what she wants.

So does anyone know about the dominican style meringue icing? Can it sit out? Can it be used under fondant? Is it difficult to make?

Im sorry about all the questions, but Im having trouble finding the information myself. I was hoping someone could give me some insight from personal experience.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:11am
post #4 of 9

To echo what Jan said- your recipe is similar to a 7-minute icing, boiled icing or meringue icing. It can sit out, but it won't remain stable for long and it is particularly difficult to deal with in humid conditions. It won't last under fondant.

The closest thing to a meringue icing would be a meringue buttercream, such as IMBC (or SMBC which is what I use) and Jan posted links.

Bottom line - your client can't have it all in this cake, so she'll have to compromise. IMBC/SMBC under fondant is what I'd recommend.

JCE62108 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #5 of 9

Ok, I see. Would it cause the fondant to break down or something? She swears that this spanish bakery had fondant over it, but I wonder if they maybe crumbcoated in a BC then filled it with the meringue? That seems like too much work, really.

I will relay the info. I really appreciate it guys. Im sure we will figure something out that she likes. She LOVED my cake at the tasting today. I mean loved loved it. It feels so good when a client has already been to 5 other tastings and didnt like any of them, and then she gets to mine and LOVES it. Oooo guess what. It was WASC. cool, huh.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:34am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Ok, I see. Would it cause the fondant to break down or something? She swears that this spanish bakery had fondant over it, but I wonder if they maybe crumbcoated in a BC then filled it with the meringue? That seems like too much work, really.

I will relay the info. I really appreciate it guys. Im sure we will figure something out that she likes. She LOVED my cake at the tasting today. I mean loved loved it. It feels so good when a client has already been to 5 other tastings and didnt like any of them, and then she gets to mine and LOVES it. Oooo guess what. It was WASC. cool, huh.

I suppose if you use it under fondant and it weeps enough it could liquify and break the fondant down that way, but what I was talking about was the meringue icing deflating under the fondant. It's very fluffy and like I said it's stable, but not for long and definitely not in high-humidity. If the bakery is putting this kind of icing under fondant, then they know something I don't.

ETA: congrats on your tasting!

JCE62108 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 3:52am
post #7 of 9

Wonderful. We are in FL, so, yeah. So this bakery either knows some secret, or doesnt know what they are doing. lol. I guess it has to be one of the two. Crud. This lady is so set on this icing. How does it compare in flavor to italian meringue BC? Is it really similar? She just doesnt want something as sweet as traditional american BC. Maybe she would be happy with IMBC. She is talking about all sorts of fillings now. Honestly the icing isnt going to add much to the flavor if she is adding different fillings. The BC would only be a crumb coat under the fondant. I kinda feel like its a little pointless to go to all that work to make a crumb coat for under fondant if your not even using it to fill the cake as well. I think maybe Ill let her know how its used. Maybe she doesnt realize she is only getting a crumb coat. I might not have been clear enough in my explaination. Well, at least Im getting a challenge here. It will only make me a better decorator/baker. woohoo.

Yessie8372 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yessie8372 Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #8 of 9

sorry but all this is not true sorry... Im dominican and the merengue B/C 1 it holds up well 2. you can make it stiff, med and thin just like the wilton one.... 3.you could use it under fondant I do all the time.... 4. we use this B/C in the dominican Rep. and it's supper hot there and I haven't heard of a cake melting..... or breaking the fondant not at all.....

Know I do tell you it takes some time to make it..... no butter and no fat
just egg white and sugar and not powder sugar flavor....
and in one part u need to make your sugar like syrup and add that to the egg whites and sugar and bite supper good to make it thin.....

so my friend you could use it under fondant and it can be left out.... the only thing I dont like is the smell of eggs LOL but soooo what it teast sooooo good.... im dominican what can i say icon_smile.gif

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #9 of 9

I had the same question too. I grew up in Haiti and they make the boiled icing all the time for cakes with no refrigeration and it's pretty hot there. That type of icing is very popular, they refer to it as marshmallow icing. However I never heard of anyone using it under fondant.

Yessie8372, can you give more details about how you can put fondant on the meringue icing? I would really like to know. The concept seems to defy logic...

THanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%