Chocolate Not "gingerbread" House?

Baking By Dragonfly2969 Updated 14 Dec 2009 , 2:25pm by dogwood

Dragonfly2969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dragonfly2969 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to CC and have been searching but have not found a recipe I need.
I would love to make a "Gingerbread" House with my kids this year but no one here likes gingerbread.

Has anyone made one out of a chocolate based dough before and if so, would you please share your recipe and your experience? Perhaps even a photo or two? I would so love to do this project but just don't want to deal with gingerbread.

Thanks!

5 replies
dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 6

I'm just guessing here since I haven't tried it myself but I'm thinking that you could adjust a gingerbread recipe to chocolate by leaving out all the spices and adding cocoa. You may have to adjust your liquids a bit to account for there being more cocoa to add than spices removed but it should work. Good luck!

I'll be looking for other posters answers to see if there is a recipe out there for "Chocolate Gingerbread". thumbs_up.gif

Dragonfly2969 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 7:25am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Elaine, that's kind of what I was thinking too, but I didn't know if I was off my rocker for considering that, lol. I haven't reworked too many recipes in my time so I'm not very comfortable with it. I have another week yet until we are attempting this, so I'll keep looking and hoping others will post as well.
Thanks again!

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 6

I actually spent the last week making and decorating 20 mini chocolate cookie houses for a cookie swap last night, and I used this recipe:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for parchment
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Directions
1.Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients, and beat until combined. Shape dough into 2 disks. Wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

I got it off the Martha Stewart Holidays A to Z in her Living Magazine (and at the website http://www.marthastewart.com/how-to/peppermint-house ) - and the cookies turned out really good, kept their shape, and were adorable.

Good luck!!

Dragonfly2969 Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:25am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much! I am going to try that recipe this coming weekend. I'm so excited! Thanks again!

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 14 Dec 2009 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 6

I'll be trying that this coming weekend also. My daughter and her 7 year old twins are coming over to make cookies and candy this weekend.

Thanks for sending the recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%