Royal Icing Question

Decorating By Kerrym Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm by TexasSugar

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 8

How do I make dried royal icing decorations? Like these....
I want to make some to put on top of my cake balls.
Thank you !!

Kerry
LL

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 8

It looks like a rope border, just in a circle. You just use a star tip for the wreath and then probably tip 2 for the bow and dots. Just make sure that you have thick RI so that it will hold it's shape.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 8

Ohh those are too cute!

I would take the e-motion border (http://www.wilton.com/technique/e-Motion) and pipe it in a tight circle. You can do it on wax paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap. Since I really like plastic page protectors I'd actually probably trace some circles on a piece of paper and slide that into the plastic page protector and tape that to a cake board. I use the page protectors cause it usually pops right off with out any problems.

I'm glad you posted this, because it is such a simple and easy idea, and would be great for quick holiday cupcakes. You could also pipe some trees too, if you wanted a little variaty.

Kerrym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerrym Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the help! It seems simple enough...trace it and let it dry. I also wanted to try a holly leaf.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 8

I don't know how big your cake balls are, but I like to use the small/mini cookie cutters for outlines to fill in on cupcakes. icon_smile.gif

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 8

Oh those are very cute..

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 8

i tried to do this but a little xmas tree, and it didnt hold its shape, I used antiona74's RI not thinned at all.... so next time should I make it thicker?

TexasSugar Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 8

Add a little powder sugar or corn starch. I haven't used her icing so I don't know what the amounts are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%