Why Do My Cakes Pull So Far Away From The Pan?

Decorating By laura4795 Updated 27 Feb 2017 , 12:53pm by melisa73

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:26am
post #1 of 23

Is it because I use spray oil? Too much? I've tried spraying, then flouring but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

It's really hard to get the sides of a cake straight when they are pulled away from the edge of the pan...

22 replies
m420chelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m420chelle Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:38am
post #2 of 23

Without more info, my guess would be that you are baking the cakes too long or they don't have enough moisture in the cake. Are you using a cake mix? A scratch recipe? Whole milk/water/skim milk? Butter vs. oil?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 5:43am
post #3 of 23

Usually, cakes pull (dramatically) away from the sides of the pan when they're overbaked...

Don't use spray oil so I don't know if that's a factor. But you might want to try making your own pan
grease and see if that resolves the issue. (Just mix together equal parts oil, shortening and flour.)

There are more baking hints & tips in this thread:
(Also frosting, fondant and doctored cake mix recipes - and so much more!.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

HTH

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:00am
post #4 of 23

over baking can cause the cake to pull away from the sides

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:06am
post #5 of 23

I used to use cake release but now just spray Pam and don't have that problem. You are baking too long. Try pulling them out sooner.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:09am
post #6 of 23

Long time ago you could get your oven calibrated, when it started messing up. NO MORE!

So, you may be over baking. This is not your fault! The oven could be off in La La land and doing what it wants to do.

Borrowing from Alton Brown, the best tool that only has one use is an oven thermometer. It has helped me. My oven bakes either 25 degrees too low or 25 too high. Normally, it's only 15 degrees too low. Sometimes it just goes nuts.

It can also depend on weather conditions. I'm trying to figure out how to fix all my cakes now that TX is getting rain.

HTH

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 23

For perfectly baked cakes, check with a toothpick - there should be some moist (NOT wet) crumbs on it when you pull it out of the oven. IF it comes out all clean (no crumbs) it is overbaked.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 23

You may be overfilling your pans. It takes so long for the center to finish cooking, the outer edges have already overcooked and pulled away.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 23

I agree with others, the cakes are probably overbaking. Also if you let them cool in the pan for longer then 7 min there will be additional shrinkage. One trick that I learned from my DH cousin (that works in a very well know bakery here) is that when you think your cake is just about ready you place your hand in the oven and with just the tips of your finders you slighly touch the cake top. If the impressions of your fingers stay on the cake, then it needs more time. If the cake just fluffs back up with no impression, then it is ready. No need to poke cake! I love this method because i hate looking for toothpicks to poke cake.

Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:17pm
post #10 of 23

Rosa - that method isn't foolproof - I used to check that way, but the WASC cake recipe tricked me a couple of times....it would act done by touching it - but the centers were a little under done. That is why I do the toothpick method each time now just to be sure.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 23

Oh, I have used that recipe a few times but due to cost I just stick to box mix without the extras in there. It works great for me but I guess it can vary on different recipes. What do you think is better pam for baking (the one that has the flour) or cake release (like the one wilton sells). I usually use pam and have no problems but I wonder if there is something better out there.

Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:17pm
post #12 of 23

I personally use the homemade cake release (equal portions of flour, vegetable oil, and shortning) I haven't found anything that works better than that.

WebDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WebDiva Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 23

I recently bought the Crisco baking spray and I found that it causes my cakes to do this. Much more so that Pam. But I've gone back to butter and flour.

-WebDiva

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:04am
post #14 of 23

Over baking...to hot oven. Try turning the oven down a bit. Wet some towels, strip them up and place around the outside of the pan. It will help that not to happen, keeping the outside of the cake baking the same as the inside. I do this on all my cakes.

Jen icon_smile.gif

laura4795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laura4795 Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 6:42am
post #15 of 23

Thanks for all of the responses. I guess it is clear that I need to take them out of the oven a little earlier! thumbs_up.gif

melisa73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melisa73 Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 12:46am
post #16 of 23

Hi all, I see that this is an old thread but maybe someone can help me anyway. I have this problem a lot, I use homemade cake release. I know my oven runs hot so I usually bake at slightly lower temp than called for (i have oven thermometers) and I check with a toothpick. My problem: after the time, top is springy to touch (feels moist) few to no crumbs on toothpick, there is almost always a "fudgy" layer at the bottom and the cake pulls away really badly. This happens in almost all from scratch cakes and although I follow recipes exactly the cakes often have a metallic after taste. Too much baking powder?Why Do My Cakes Pull So Far Away From The Pan?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2017 , 11:03pm
post #17 of 23

From the pic I would guess (and it's just a guess!) that the recipe might have too much liquid.  Also, you don't say what temp you bake at.....try lowering the oven to 300 degrees and bake it a few minutes longer if need be.  

I agree to what JenniferMI said: Over baking...to hot oven. Try turning the oven down a bit. Wet some towels, strip them up and place around the outside of the pan. It will help  keep the outside of the cake baking the same as the inside.

melisa73 Posted 19 Feb 2017 , 9:56pm
post #18 of 23

Hi kakeladi, my oven hates me, it runs hot, fluctuates between 325-350 when I set it for 325. Its not digital so I cant set it more exactly. I tried to set it at 335 but I have to keep turning the temp dial every 10 minutes or so because its either too hot or too cool. 

This was the recipe: http://artisancakecompany.com/recipe/scratch-vanilla-cake/

The inside of my cake had a fudge layer at the bottom and as you can see from the picture it sunk on itself. The outside was over done (dry) and the rest seemed almost under done. My oven can be set for heat from bottom, top, both or fan assisted. I usually start with heat only from the bottom (was told by a technician to do it so the heat from above didnt "push down" on the rising cake. Then after the first 20/25/30 minutes I lower the temp slightly and put it on fan assisted. I did not use baking strips.

I made a second cake using a different recipe (more pound cake like, with baking strips) and it rose ok (no dome) but was too dense and slightly dry. I usually dont have these problems with mixes but I live in Europe and American style cake mixes are harder to come by and quite expensive so I really want to master from scratch baking.

Thanks

Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 21 Feb 2017 , 3:23am
post #19 of 23

Hello. For some reason, I have no luck with that recipe either. I have heard so many great things about it as well and no many people who swear by it. I was just making a Cake Bible recipe today and the same thing happened to me. I am guessing that it was because of:

- too high heat (my oven is getting old and does fluctuate in temp)

- too much liquid (after the 2nd addition of egg mixture), my batter started to curdle

- beat too much (possibly, I had it on setting 6 on my KA, may try setting 4 next time)

- too cold of ingredients (although, my liquids were at 60 and butter was at 70)

I sometimes go through spurts where nothing goes right in the oven. This week appears to be one of those weeks.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Feb 2017 , 6:53pm
post #20 of 23

Sorry to have a delayed reply.  I use a public computer at the library which allows me only 2 hrs a day and they are closed on holidays :(

melisa73      you mention about your oven not being digital etc.  Do you understand how a 'regular' oven works?  I know this because my ex was an appliance repairman (fixed stoves, refrigs etc).  If you set the control for say 350 it actually takes something like an hour to test it.  The temp goes up to about 375-380, then falls to say 325-330.  Over time this averages out to 350.  So it is normal for it to fluxuate as you mentioned.     Just get a good quality oven thermometer....not  just one of those little pointers oftne sold in grocery stores.     I just reread your post and see you are in Europe.  Your appliances are probably differfent than what we have in the US so I can't help you any more on that :(   It's nice to see Bobeba's reply........that might help you out some.   I don't bake from scratch and really don't understand the science of it so I'll let someone else try to help you from here. 
Sorry to have a delayed reply. I use a public computer at the library which allows me only 2 hrs a day and they are closed on holidays :(

melisa73 you mention about your oven not being digital etc. Do you understand how a 'regular' oven works? I know this because my ex was an appliance repairman (fixed stoves, refrigs etc). If you set the control for say 350 it actually takes something like an hour to test it. The temp goes up to about 375-380, then falls to say 325-330. Over time this averages out to 350. So it is normal for it to fluxuate as you mentioned. Just get a good quality oven thermometer....not just one of those little pointers oftne sold in grocery stores. I just reread your post and see you are in Europe. Your appliances are probably differfent than what we have in the US so I can't help you any more on that :( It's nice to see Bobeba's reply........that might help you out some. I don't bake from scratch and really don't understand the science of it so I'll let someone else

melisa73 Posted 26 Feb 2017 , 12:52pm
post #21 of 23

Thanks for the replys. I have thermometers (metal kind with a little "foot"). I think they work pretty well. I think the problem might be in mixing or possibly the recipe. Pound cake and quick breads usually turn out fine. I made a chocolate bundt this week, it didnt use eggs but instead apple cider vinegar, that turned out just fine.

I think I just need to keep trying until I find a recipe that works for me. But then, what do you do with all the cake??

Bobeba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bobeba Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 12:45pm
post #22 of 23

After more attempts I think my problem was due to too cold of ingredients, make sure those eggs, butter and milk are warm (at the very least neutral to the touch) and do not over mix. 

YouTube Rose Levy Beranberbaum, she makes one of her cakes. 

melisa73 Posted 27 Feb 2017 , 12:53pm
post #23 of 23

I think over mixing is my problem. Perhaps after creaming should do the wet to dry by hand? Will look her up, I know she's meant to be really good 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%