Snowflakes On Fondant... Which Is The Best Medium?

Decorating By masturbaker Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 3:25pm by Loucinda

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 8

I'm making a snowflake cake, wintry blue fondant covered cake and I'd like to do snowflakes all over it. I do fondant on fondant all the time, but I don't want my snowflakes to look "spongy"... i was thinking maybe something with royal icing? Would I do the snowflakes just like I would RI lacework or something similar? I thought doing floodwork with them, but I don't think this will give me the look I'm trying to achieve.. I'm hopeing for crisp lines...

Has anyone done snowflakes before? I don't have any snowflake shape cutters or anything like that...

Any ideas? THANKS

7 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #2 of 8

I have no advice, but I must say your username made me do a double-take. It's very clever LOOL! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:59am
post #3 of 8

I've done small snowflakes with a scrapbook punch and fondant rolled very thin. I've seen bigger snowflake punches too, or snowflake plunger cutters.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:38am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB1

I have no advice, but I must say your username made me do a double-take. It's very clever LOOL! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

haha me too Love it.

I can only say PME plunger cutters set of 3 thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 8

How about using flower paste. you can roll it very thin and get crisp clean edges. and I second PME plunge cutters. I used them on my snowflake cake but I just used fondant to cut mine out of.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 8

I used 50/50 and the PME cutter for the ones on this cake - they looked really nice.
LL

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 8

Hi Loucinda! Remember me from the COSA meeting this week?! [I'm so excited to have found and joined a local cake club!!] Now, back on topic...Does the 50% fondant in the snowflakes keep them soft enough to eat or would you need to take them off the cake before serving because of the gumpaste making them too brittle to eat?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 8

HI there!! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, the fondant kept them soft enough to eat. I applied them the morning of the day the cake was due, and when the caterer served the cake, she cut right through them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%