?'s From Customer Perspective

Decorating By beachbrat Updated 16 Dec 2009 , 10:58pm by khoudek

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #31 of 43

I think most everyone answered your questions so here is an opinion only. I would be very happy to try to copy your design if you had a particular cake in mind but I wouldn't be open to trying to copy another decorators design. I would take inspiration from that design and give you a sketch of something original...after all, if you are paying that much you should have a cake no one else has. As a scrapbooker myself I would be happy to take photos for you or the progression of the cake so I would tell you to go ahead and ask and let them know the reason. And while I have not ever been asked for my license I would happily show any client who would like to see it. That's not being a PIA, that's being careful that you are dealing with a reputable baker.

Good luck and I hope you find that incredible cake for them!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 6:19pm
post #32 of 43

And, AND, if they post stolen pictures on their website that insinuates they can do Sylivia Weinstock on a $2.00/serving budget......hellllloooo Cakewrecks!

Sorry, didn't really have anything to do with this topic, BUT it's a rampant disease plaguing the cake world lately.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:15pm
post #33 of 43

I'm not a seller of cakes, just learning but the posting pics of others works and saying you can it cheaper is rampant. I make bespoke corsetry and sell corset supplies, it's my passion. My whole home is decorated in corset items, etc. There are chinese sellers on ebay who have stolen pics from all of the corstmakers and sell cheaply make knockoffs that look nothing like the pics they have stolen and because they are in another country nothing can be done. At least with cakes it can only be hijacked in one community, by a baker, and not all over the world by a Chinese knockoff with ONE picture of a custom made victorian museum quality reproduction..it's terrible. Sorry I had to jump in as that has been a hot topic button lately for corsetmakers.

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

I'm not a seller of cakes, just learning but the posting pics of others works and saying you can it cheaper is rampant. I make bespoke corsetry and sell corset supplies, it's my passion. My whole home is decorated in corset items, etc. There are chinese sellers on ebay who have stolen pics from all of the corstmakers and sell cheaply make knockoffs that look nothing like the pics they have stolen and because they are in another country nothing can be done. At least with cakes it can only be hijacked in one community, by a baker, and not all over the world by a Chinese knockoff with ONE picture of a custom made victorian museum quality reproduction..it's terrible. Sorry I had to jump in as that has been a hot topic button lately for corsetmakers.

What a gorgeous craft! Oh I'd be ticked!!!! icon_mad.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 8:25pm
post #35 of 43
Quote:

Meschantes?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 10:32pm
post #36 of 43

If someone came to me with that budget, we would sit down and talk down to each and every detail. They would leave with a sketch. Just like I would do for a wedding cake. With spending that amount, you want to make very sure you are getting the idea down solidly to the baker.

Jen icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:04am
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

Meschantes?

Actually Meschantes has been around for a few years before the Chinese mass sellers. Meschantes is located here in North Carolina in a po dunk town, not even a city. I really found that funny. Meschantes does do some mass market corsetry and seem to be um....middle of the road quality IMHO if that makes sense. They are OK and some are very happy with them but I feel you get more for your money from some other corsetmakers. They have lovely pictures and wouldn't surprise me a bit some hijacked their pics.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 4:22pm
post #38 of 43

First of all--I'm just diggin' into this thread and I would like to ask that you please rub off on my kids...oh wait..we already had our 25th...and our 30th...hmmm, start rubbing quick so maybe it'll start sticking for the 40th

icon_biggrin.gif

'k, gotta keep reading--brb~~

-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:04pm
post #39 of 43

Ok--so I think it's great that your siblings have been zeroed into your ocd-ness and want you to acquire the cake for the big emotional nostalgia riven shindig. Older kids are smart like that--they don't know what the h to do so 'hey peewee's appointed!!'

However unlike the others $1500 does not give pia license by any means though that was tongue in cheeky methinks. Because if you pita me I won't feel the freedom to create my best for you I'll be perterbed and the cake will not reflect my perterbedness it will be what you ordered to the letter--you will get what you pay for--but no magic for you!

And you clearly want a cake with the magic yes??

I think one very important thing is to not lead with your price point--Just define your expectation basically in two ways, the look and the taste.

How would you like to do a trial run here in your thread--just order your cake--and I and we will go through it all with you.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:07pm
post #40 of 43

So Beachbrat, welcome to your cake consult. I'm so excited about your sweet event for your parent's 25th and I'm honored that you would include my input into these important planning stages. Is this celebration going to be a surprise??

What do you have in mind so far??

remember start with either taste or look

beachbrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachbrat Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:13pm
post #41 of 43

Oh K8mephis..thank you so much for offering to do a trial run...my brother is still working on a rough sketch (which I have not seen yet) but when he is through I definately want to take you up on that...your just gemmies!!!

I will get back to you on this.

Thank You
Morning

-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 5:33pm
post #42 of 43

No no no--if you're not sure of the design yet--let's talk flavor when you get a chance.

What flavor cake are you interested in?
What is Mom & Dad's favorite cake?

Some of this will reflect the particular baker's repertoire but there's a lot to learn here.

How many people do you estimate will be attending?
How many invatations will you be sending out?
What time of day-ish?
Meal or no meal?
Inside or outside? inside
What month and locality December in Argentina is a different climate than New York

~~~Here's something to be aware of from the get go. The caker will want to make you happy. Working for team of 6 clients can be fulfilling or impossible. One person needs to have the power of the 'yes do it'. And that person will be thee contact for the cake. Like a sibling can't call and make abc changes only you can do that.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 16 Dec 2009 , 10:58pm
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

If your spending 1500.00 on cake. You can be all the PITA you want to be.

Mike

HERE, HERE! Totally agree! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%