Royal Icing Snowflakes?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 4:18pm by Loucinda

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I plan on doing some royal icing snowflakes on waxed paper to later put on top of cupcakes and a cake for a cake raffle. I have done flowers like daisies before so I know how it works but I have never done anything really flat and fragile, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to do it and ways they lift them off when they dry? Do I need to use royal or can I do the same type of thing with antonia74 or tobas or candy melts?
any tips and suggestions would be great
Thanks alot
Kiley

5 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 6

You could do them out of royal or chocolate. Both should work, but, IMO...there are so many gorgeous cutters out there..... they are SO much easier to use than piping on paper.

The details in some are totally awesome. You can snap them out (a bunch of them FAST) If you need help, PM me.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto on the cutters!! I just did a cake with the snowflakes done with a cutter, could not have been easier, and the effect was gorgeous! Here is a link to the cake:

http://picasaweb.google.com/enticingicings/EnticingIcingsCakePhotos#5412188098476117634

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 6

well thanks for the replies but I have to do the cake by Saturday so I don't have time to order the cutters, so I really have to use royal.

MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tips about the snowflake cutters! Which ones do you recommend?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 6

I have the PME ones - LOVE them.

For using the royal (sorry about the time frame) IMO, the larger they are the more fragile they are, so keep them on the small side.

I think I would use white chocolate instead - and sprinkle some edible glitter on them while they are still soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%