Nobody Touched The Cake!! I Was So Mortified!!! :0(

Decorating By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 18 May 2013 , 2:00am by hbquikcomjamesl

Nin55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nin55 Posted 17 May 2013 , 1:32am
post #61 of 65

I agree with others that people feel intimidated with cutting "the pretty cake" as well as not knowing  what do you do with the fondant.  Do you peel it off or try to eat it.  To some people fondant doesn't look appetitizing or they have never experienced a fondant covered cake.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 17 May 2013 , 9:26am
post #62 of 65

Just to add my story to this thread, now it's been resurrected :-)

A young woman in my church recently had a baby and the women in our church take turns to bring new mothers/families meals for the first two weeks.  When it was my turn I thought I'd take the opportunity to try out a new flavour combination on a cake for their dessert (lime cake with lime curd and coconut buttercream).  I quickly decorated it but didn't take too much care as it was just a wee thing for their dessert.  Turns out, they loved it so much (they're very sentimental) and refused to cut it.  They've now bought some preservative spray to coat it so that they can keep it!

I keep thinking that if I'd known they'd want to keep it, I could have made a removable topper or something, and now I won't know how my new recipes taste!  I'll have to try again with someone else :-)

Here is the cake - I'm a bit embarrassed they want to keep it as I really didn't put much effort into it:

Spireite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spireite Posted 17 May 2013 , 10:40am
post #63 of 65

So do I live with a family of gluttons? icon_wink.gif....when I took a caravan cake to my Dad's 80th, the first thing following the candle being blown out, was for him to 'cut' the cake...I'm sure the kitchen staff found the biggest bread knife they could, and he bisected it totally in half....all my family think cake are for eating....as soon as possible!!!  icon_biggrin.gif

Nin55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nin55 Posted 18 May 2013 , 12:46am
post #64 of 65

They wanted to preserve the cake??  You could only keep it for so long even with the preservative. 

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 May 2013 , 2:00am
post #65 of 65

Well, we mustn't forget that mummified wedding fruitcake that recently came to light in (I think) the U.K.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%