Help With Elmo!!

Decorating By mgslld Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 2:26pm by ericaplh

mgslld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgslld Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I came across this wonderful website yesterday. I am so glad I did. So much information.

I want to make an Elmo cake for my daughters first birthday. Taking the inspiration from one of the pictures posted, I wanted the Elmo to pop out of the cake. I don't know where to start. I made fondant for the first time yesterday, it kept breaking apart.

Could some one please tell me how to make fondant that will not break, Royal icing for fur (how do you make it look furry?)and the Elmo body ? I believe I read somewhere that someone used rice krispie for the body.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, Jen. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

3D (sitting) Elmo cake topper w/complete directons:

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/HowTo-Elmo.pdf

For Elmo bursting from the cake, you only need to make the top half of his body (shaped appropriately)...

CC recommended Royal Icing recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=royal+icing

HTH

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 6

I have made an Elmo cake (will try to attach picture)....

Elmo was made out of RCT and fur was piped on using RI and a star tip...when piped, rather than achieve a star, I pulled the pastry bag away quickly to resemble fur...

HTH
LL
LL

mgslld Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 6

Jan - Thank you for nice welcome and reply! I will definitely look into the links.

Ericaplh - Thanks for replying. WOW what a beautiful cake! How did you make the Elmo? It's so perfect! How long did it take? How much fondant did you use? What kind of cake is inside! I was considering a white cake. Was this your first cake? Sorry for the many questions I'm just so excited. I want to try this but afraid it might be a mess. I will be attempting a cake for my Dad tomorrow as a practice run before next week.

Thanks again for posting.
Jen

mgslld Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Ericaplh- I can't seem to open the recipe link. Could you please repost. Thanks so much. BTW I know what you made the elmo with Rice Crispies.

Thanks,
Jen

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgslld

Jan - Thank you for nice welcome and reply! I will definitely look into the links.

Ericaplh - Thanks for replying. WOW what a beautiful cake! How did you make the Elmo? It's so perfect! How long did it take? How much fondant did you use? What kind of cake is inside! I was considering a white cake. Was this your first cake? Sorry for the many questions I'm just so excited. I want to try this but afraid it might be a mess. I will be attempting a cake for my Dad tomorrow as a practice run before next week.

Thanks again for posting.
Jen

Jen, Thank you so much. Like I said the Elmo is made from RCT...just molded it into the shape I wanted and then let the royal icing tell his story... Inside, was a Valrhona chocolate cake with a vanilla buttercream filling. This was not my first cake. You can check out a bunch of my other cakes in my profile. The cake was covered in buttercream, not fondant.....I only used fondant for the accents, so it didn't require much. The decorating was done in stages, as I made the Elmo and the loopy bows in advance and the rest of the accents were done once everything else was completed...probably a couple of hours all together...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%