Modeling Question????

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 3:31pm by milkmaid42

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 9

I was wondering how you do the characters that are standing? I know how to do it, if there is something covering legs etc. But, How do you do the standing legs. How do you dry them, so they are not flat on the backside, and are sturdy enough to stand.???

8 replies
helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:15am
post #2 of 9

Depending on the size I usually use toothpicks I buy the plastic ones. Then I stand them in a Styrofoam cake dummy to dry. hth icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:28am
post #3 of 9

I found success using paper covered wire and making an armature over which I formed modeling chocolate. (The wire was not the usual straight floral wires, but what I got in Michael's in a roll with the paper twisted around the wire core the diameter of a match stick. It appears to have been waxed. You can tell I don't have the label any longer and am having trouble describing it exactly.) It is easy to bend and quite sturdy.I used it to make the deer in my photos.
I haven't done this with gumpaste or 50/50, but it works well with chocolate. Hope this helps.

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 9

milkmaid42 what recipe do you use for your modeling chocolate. I've tried to make it but it's always to soft and I can't model with it. Thanks!

MissRobin - I just use toothpicks and fondant. I make the feet and legs first and let them stand to dry in Styrofoam. I make the rest of the body and head then let them dry and assemble when everything is hard.

milkmaid42 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 4:39am
post #5 of 9

dogheaven3 (I'd like to hear the back story on that) I used 10 oz of mixed semi sweet/ bittersweet chocolate chips to 1/3 C. light corn syrup. Melt in the microwave, stir in the corn syrup, pour out on Saran wrap, cover and let sit overnight. My kitchen is fairly cool at night. It is quite hard in the morning and I break off the size I need, knead until malleable and voila! I guess the only variable, (since this seems to be the usual recipe) is not to over stir.
When making the deer I alternated between my work table and the fridge. I carved with clay tools, the curved pointed scalpel being my favorite. If needed, I built up with chocolate softened from my hands. This might be more info than you requested...I tend to get wordy. Good luck.

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogheaven3

milkmaid42 what recipe do you use for your modeling chocolate. I've tried to make it but it's always to soft and I can't model with it. Thanks!

MissRobin - I just use toothpicks and fondant. I make the feet and legs first and let them stand to dry in Styrofoam. I make the rest of the body and head then let them dry and assemble when everything is hard.

Do they sag and wrinkle while they are drying??? That is what I would be afraid of.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 9

I usually use uncooked spaghetti instead of toothpicks.

kathyran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyran Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 9

I also use toothpicks. I did a buzz lightyear standing with his hands on his hips. I used two toothpicks for the legs and a center toothpick for his body. I did have to prop his arms up with cups until they dried. It is in my photos.

milkmaid42 Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 9

MissRobin, I am not sure to whom you are addressing the question. As far as the chocolate goes, the answer is no. I build over a wire form, an armature, which offers support. If the material gets too soft, a minute or two in the refrigerator takes care of it. Conversely, if too firm I leave it out for awhile. Chocolate is very adaptable. You don't have to build in stages to allow drying. And seams or errors are easily smoothed out. I have a little more difficulty with candy clay made with white almond bark. It spends more time in the fridge due to softening more easily. My tiny bunnies were mostly pinch and pat, whereas the larger one I was able to carve somewhat. Back to the original question: No, no trouble with sagging or wrinkling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%