Question And Compliments, Could Be Long

Decorating By HowCoolGomo1 Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm by Peridot

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 17

I have a dehydrator.

I need to make centers for roses and I need them by tomorrow morning by the latest. If I use the heat the wire, stick it in the center program and then put in my dehydrator; does anyone out there think they will get dry enough for me to work with? I can adjust the heat on the dehydrator, so it won't actually cook the sugar.

Kudo's to ever thought of the pasta roller.

Edna, as in tonedna; my roses are still not spectacular, but between you and Texas_Rose; they are getting better. My Calla lilies, well lets just say some people are envious. Wish I could afford your stargazer lily DVD.

16 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 17

I want to say that by heating up the wire and sticking it in the base you can use it right away. I'm pretty sure that is what I read and that was the plus for doing it that way. I'd look back on that post, was it Texas-Rose that posted about it and talked about it.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I want to say that by heating up the wire and sticking it in the base you can use it right away. I'm pretty sure that is what I read and that was the plus for doing it that way. I'd look back on that post, was it Texas-Rose that posted about it and talked about it.

Yes it was what T_R posted.

She works with the N. Lodge recipe and I use Satin Ice G P. Unfortunately, the S I stuff still flops around for 12 hours. Maybe I just make my centers too big. Or my glue is too wet.

I'm going to try doing it. If I do it normally, I won't have solid centers for at least 3 days with our weather lately. Maybe I'll figure out something for TX and others affected by weather that changes faster than you can change your mind. icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 17

I've done the flame thing for stars and balls on wire, but not the rose centers because I wrap my wires before I put the center on and floral tape is coated with paraffin if I'm right, so I think it would burn.

You could also use small styrofoam balls or eggs, hot-glued onto your wire.

How many rose centers do you need, Gomo? I have three if you don't mind one being a little pink (experimenting with making my own petal dust LOL). They're super dry already.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 17

I do heat my wires before inserting them into rose centers and they can be used right away. I will usually do a bunch of rose centers one night and add petals the next but if the cones are not too big, you can use them right away. I use NL recipe gumpaste and do this all of the time.

I always had problems with my cones falling off of the wire before I started doing this. It is the best hint I think I've ever learned!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 17

Do the roses need to be wired? If not, you can make them on hershey kisses!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 17

So, if I am reading this right, you all are heating the wires and then sticking them in the rose cones, right? Is there something in particular that you are heating them with or is a lighter just as good? Do you only do this when you are using a dehydrator? Sorry about the questions. But I feel like my brain is drying up today!!! LOL

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyascakes

So, if I am reading this right, you all are heating the wires and then sticking them in the rose cones, right? Is there something in particular that you are heating them with or is a lighter just as good? Do you only do this when you are using a dehydrator? Sorry about the questions. But I feel like my brain is drying up today!!! LOL

It only takes a candle and patience. Centers, will be solid. Just wait & look, you will know when to insert.

I've been using a BIC, flame thrower. because I don't have any time!

Tanya, use a wire, make a hook and then set it on fire. Then stick it up the butt of the flower cone you want to create. If you don't have my hot hands, it will work perfectly.

Then you can go to work on the actual flower.

tanyascakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 17

Okay, last one! So you have the cones already made and dried and then heat and insert the wire? I know I sound so daft today-lol!! Oh and I am a hot handed mama, too!!! So any tips from that standpoint??

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:02am
post #10 of 17

I've never heard of inserting the wire after making the cone. I make the cone on the wire and let them set that way. I have a little rack that I hang them on. Then, as I put the rows of petals on, back they go to the rack to set for a bit. By the time I'm done with the last, it's time to put the next row of petals on the first and make an assembly line of them. It just seems complicated to add the wire after the cone is made. or maybe it's just me.

Sandy

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Roses don't need to be wired!

The only way I get them almost straight it using hershey kisses.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:59am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyascakes

Okay, last one! So you have the cones already made and dried and then heat and insert the wire? I know I sound so daft today-lol!! Oh and I am a hot handed mama, too!!! So any tips from that standpoint??

No you don't make the cones and let them dry. You make the cone, get the wire all red hot and then insert the wire. You do make sure you are really careful when you do this.

Hot handed stuff, I'm working on it, The pasta roller is helping me. I'm trying to figure out how to cut things out without melt or shred. I'll let you know.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:17am
post #13 of 17

I used to make my rose cones and then used the "glue" method to hold my wire in place and got sick of waiting for the glue to dry.

Now I made my rose cones out of 50/50 gum paste and fondant (Wilton). I make several cones and let them dry a minute or two and go back to the first one, pick it up, pick up my wire, heat the end of the wire over a votive candle, insert the hot end into the bottom of the rose cone, listen to it sizzle, make sure it is on the wire straight and stick it into styrofoam to dry for a day or two and that's it. And I have never burned myself as I would have to be pretty careless to do that.

If I want to make my rose immediately I can do that also, but I prefer my cone dry. I read about this tip on CC quite some time ago and will never go back to using "glue" to hold my wire in place again.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I used to make my rose cones and then used the "glue" method to hold my wire in place and got sick of waiting for the glue to dry.

Now I made my rose cones out of 50/50 gum paste and fondant (Wilton). I make several cones and let them dry a minute or two and go back to the first one, pick it up, pick up my wire, heat the end of the wire over a votive candle, insert the hot end into the bottom of the rose cone, listen to it sizzle, make sure it is on the wire straight and stick it into styrofoam to dry for a day or two and that's it. And I have never burned myself as I would have to be pretty careless to do that.

If I want to make my rose immediately I can do that also, but I prefer my cone dry. I read about this tip on CC quite some time ago and will never go back to using "glue" to hold my wire in place again.

What she said!

tanyascakes Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 17

Okay, That is what I was thinking! I usually make mine like gscout73. I told you I wasn't all there when I was reading it earlier-lol! That seems easier. I hate for the glue to dry before I can work on flowers. That is why I haven't done too many. Thanks for the advice everyone!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:03pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCoolGomo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Roses don't need to be wired!

The only way I get them almost straight it using hershey kisses.

Maybe I was confused then. I thought you were asking if you could heat the wire and stick it in the bottom of the cone, and if the cones would dry in a dehydrator. If you normally make them on kisses, then why are you making cones and worrying about wire?

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm
post #17 of 17

One addition to my post - I fogot to say that you should always bend the little hook into the top end of the wire that you are heating and inserting into the cone. Does a lot for stability!!! Sorry......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%