Does Anyone Else Have Problems W/marshmallow Fondant?

Decorating By imarpet Updated 11 Mar 2012 , 6:14am by Phyan

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #31 of 51

CINDY - I am gonna give you a HUGE HUG when I get to meet you!!! I NEVER looked at that part of the DVD. (I am so sorry for posting that it wasn't in there) I watched it 3 times to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and I STILL missed it. icon_redface.gif I was sooo sad I didn't get that recipe too.....now I am doing a happy dance!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #32 of 51

Hmmm, another DVD I might have to add to my shopping list! icon_smile.gif

I use MMF almost exclusively because of the cost...I do cakes for fun and not as a business (yet!) icon_smile.gif I have found there is a trick to working with MMF...

1. Melt the marshmallows until the are almost melted, then stir stir stir until they are all melted. The hotter the marshmallows, the more air bubbles form. Also, the hotter, the more they "cook" which completely changes the consistency of it. Melt it slowly!! - and not completely...they will continue to melt when you are stirring. Then add flavorings and coloring. I add a little corn syrup, salt, vanilla and lemon extracts.

2. Wait until the marshmallows are not hot and then add one pound of powdered sugar to bowl and stir until you can't anymore. I then dump it out onto the remaining pound of powdered sugar and work it until most the powdered sugar is worked in. I never use the whole 2 pounds...there is always a little zip lock bag left of powdered sugar.

3. Grease it up, wrap it up good, and let it sit until completely cool - preferably overnight. Trying to work with warm/fresh MMF, especially on a cold cake, is cruel and unusual punishment!! icon_smile.gif TONS of air bubbles and issues that way. The air bubbles happen when cold air is warmed (cold cake gives off cold air and then warm MMF makes that cold air warm). Wait until it cools down and sets a bit...overnight is really the best.

4. Knead knead knead the fondant the next morning until it's nice and flexible. Only use cornstarch when kneading/rolling out MMF. I used to use powdered sugar and always got SO upset with sticking and with the fondant getting harder...not with cornstarch. And, I spritz my cold cake with water before I put the MMF on and it goes on beautifully as long as I start at the top and work down...no airbubbles. Get those corners right away when you get the MMF on the cake so there are no issues with tearing.

Another HUGE thing to note with MMF...NEVER NEVER use generic powdered sugar or marshmallows!!!!!! I have noticed a total difference when using generic products...it's either the beet sugar, or something but it makes it harder to use.

The only thing I haven't liked about MMF in the past is it hardens faster (than Satin Ice) and doesn't have as long of a shelf life. In this last batch I made, I added an ounce or two of glycerin to it in the melted marshmallow stage in hopes that the glycerin will hold in the moisture better. I'm going to take it out of the wrapping in a week or so and check it. I'll post if there is a noticeable difference!

Blessings and best of luck! icon_smile.gif

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:01pm
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

Another HUGE thing to note with MMF...NEVER NEVER use generic powdered sugar or marshmallows!!!!!! I have noticed a total difference when using generic products...it's either the beet sugar, or something but it makes it harder to use.

I have actually have had luck using both generic and name brand. I used to think it was the brand, then I started realizing my techniques were bad. I dunno.

I've also not encountered air bubble problems with cold cakes and fresh made fondant. But great advice none the less icon_smile.gif

But it definately needs to be fresh... fresh marshmallows and fresh powdered sugar. No opened bags from last time or anything... open new bags. And if the marshmallows are older and stiff, just go get a new bag... it'll save you lots of hassle.

Question MrsMudRash - How long for your MMF to harden? Do you think it hardens better cause of the corn syrup? Mine really never hardens so I have to use pastillage or gumpaste. Do tell please! icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:11pm
post #34 of 51

I hate working with MMF. Lots of weird problems; stretching, pock marks, elephant skin.... etc. Did I miss the Jennifer recipe that is so wonderful? Do I have to buy the DVD? Thanks.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:26pm
post #35 of 51

Jen's fondant recipe is on her fondant DVD and the pearl clay recipe is on the fondant frills DVD. They're both worth the $$.

Oh honestly, if I only had a brain! Both recipes are on the fondant frills DVD. I don't know what I was thinking! (It's been a long day!) icon_rolleyes.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:03am
post #36 of 51

Darthburn: My MMF never really hardens well either...I add Gumtex or Tylose to it if I need it to hold it's shape. My material of choice to decorate a cake with is 50/50 MMF to Modeling Chocolate. It's such a nice consistency, and all I have to do is pop it in the fridge for a few minutes and it sets up nicely...but tastes great!! - better than gumpaste. Although, gumpaste is more stable!! And needed in certain situations.

Is that kinda what Jennifer's recipe is? - a fondant and modeling chocolate mix like Martha's??

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:06am
post #37 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

Is that kinda what Jennifer's recipe is? - a fondant and modeling chocolate mix like Martha's??

No, Martha's is different. Jen's has a different ratio and is done differently. She goes all through how to make it on the DVD.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #38 of 51

I haven't had any troubles with the MMF - I always use the cheapest marshmellows and powdered sugar I can find (can you say Aldi's??) I only melt at 50% power though.

Becky1125108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky1125108 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:58pm
post #39 of 51

I'm so happy to have found I'm not the only one who has trouble working with mmf. I absolutely love the taste compared to boxed fondant and even kneading is so much easier (I have carpal tunnel), but I have such difficulty rolling it out smooth and getting it to be smooth on my cake. I've tried both corn starch and shortening on my board. I've found that shortening works great with the boxed fondant, but cornstarch better with mmf. I saw the postings on Jennifer Dontz recipe and am planning to try that. If anyone can give me any advice, I'd be very grateful!
Thanks!

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:31pm
post #40 of 51

Thank you Imparpet for the info.

mrsmudrash I will try MMFfollowing the steps on your post; I really hope I can get it right icon_smile.gif THANKS!

imarpet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imarpet Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #41 of 51

No prob. Jennifer's fondant would be perfect for a person with carpel tunnel because it is so pliable! Really, I just felt a major difference in the FEEL of the fondant compared to mmf. It was just soft, smooth, very workable and darn tasty. ALL the mmf tips on here sound great and if I ever DO use mmf again, I will def. incorporate some of the tips I have learned, but for me, I am thinking I am just not going back. That's how much I lked ejnnifer's. I want to really start focusing on improving on the "naked" cakes and I feel like with the mmf I was so busy trying to make sure it was right every time that I just was stuck. Now I have found something that I don't have to worry about or overthink, so I can really focus on getting a nice, even, smooth look. Isn't it funny how the Naked, most simple LOOKING cakes are actually the hardest to master?? It's an oxymoron of a sort!!!! I am the queen of covering flaws with decorations (lol) and I don't want that title anymore!! At my 21st cake I decided I was of legal cake making age to start maturing!! So my goal this winter is to master the naked look, and practice roses!!

mrsmudrash Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:41pm
post #42 of 51

Someone had mentioned ordering ingredients from Jennifer's site for her fondant. Does her fondant require "weird" or uncommon ingredients that you can't just pick up from your local grocery store? I'm not trying to get the recipe, it just bugs me to have to order special ingredients...esp for those last minute cakes!! So, I don't know if I'd order the DVD if her fondant required something special...which is probably why her fondant IS SO special though! icon_smile.gif HA!

Just say yes or no on the special ingredients...you don't have to say what it is.

Thanks!

imarpet Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #43 of 51

well, I live in the middle of nowhere, so.....I hafta order stuff. But I would not consider her ingredients unusual. With or without the fondant recipe on the dvd, I would have ordered it just for the tips on baking that eradicate the need for leveling and crumb coating. icon_wink.gif Cool, easy tips that save me alot of time.

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm
post #44 of 51

Has anyone tried Jennifer's recipe with MMF as the base? Just curious if it would work.

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:56pm
post #45 of 51

Sure it would work! I've used the pearl clay on top of MMF, Satin Ice, Jen's white chocolate fondant AND buttercream. The base doesn't affect it that I've noticed.

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:01pm
post #46 of 51

Thank you everyone!!! I should have seen this treat before saturday that I made a batch of MMF..I had the same problem that everyone...I love the taste but it has to many problems...

I got pices of marshmallow when I covered the cake, you can see my cake in my pics...

thank u for sharing

imarpet Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:20am
post #47 of 51

Hey everyone! I emailed Jennifer to ask her thoughts on the weirdness/availability of the ingredients, so here's the scoop:

No weird ingredients.... really!!! icon_smile.gif

But, Jennifer HIGHLY recommends using the exact ingredients she does, at least the first time trying the recipes. Otherwise, you won't know how they should come out or perform. She's not saying you can't use other brands, but some do produce very different results. Once you try it, then branch off and try other brands. You'll know if you like the results.... it they are the same as they were when using the brands she recommends.

Her method is different than Martha's. With Martha's, IMO, you have more of a chance of lumps in the fondant.

Good luck and Good fondant Rolling!!
--Margarita (imarpet)

jewelsdixon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelsdixon Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 10:16pm
post #48 of 51

i only use mm fondant on my cakes and lately if the cake cools in garage them warms up it seems to start to melt get sticky sink with bumpy sides and shiny fondant especially if i had dark colors like black purple or red it gets very gooey inotice having it dry more in front of an air conditioned fan helps but. the mm fondant usually works out ok as long as i knead it with crisco hands and lots of cornstarch on my surface when i rolled it out. i warm it a bit in the microwave to get it soft but if it sits it can harden again i have to work fast.seems the black mm fondant is the hardest to set for me. it gets too hard or if cooled then humidity mkes it sweat and look sticky and melted. i have to try the gumpaste recipe or modelling chocolate

SarahB52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahB52 Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 9:54pm
post #49 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

I used to have some problems with MMF until I tinkered and found out what I was doing wrong. Since then I haven't had any issues.

I use 20 oz of marshmellows rather than 16 oz. I don't use water. I do use shortening. I don't put hot marshmellows straight into the powdered sugar (I let it cool a little, it was causing clumps of PS), I knead and knead and knead until it passes my test (I hold it up to see how fast it stretches with gravity pulling it down, if it's fast... more PS, if it's slow check for tears. With tears add shortening and recheck gravity, if no tears and slow you're good to go!) I always mix my color into the melted marshmellows (It's eay to stir in, you make it a tad darker for the PS will lighten it). Roll it on cornstarch. Viola!

That being said.... I will still give Jennifer's a try just because I like to know all different ways to try things and I just might like it better! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the tip.

Do you use the same amount of shortening as you would water? Do you have a preference on marshmallows as well (name brand, generic, mini regular)? I have had so much bad luck with MMF, I wanted to scream. I literally made 3 batches in the same 24 hour time period the two redish ones came out great but the green is dry and cracky. UGH!!!

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 10:53pm
post #50 of 51

I am just a hobby baker so I make MMF all the time because it is just so cheap and easy to make. I can color it as I make it and have never had any problems with it.

I made my son's wedding cake in March of this year and ordered Satin Ice because it was a big cake and I wanted all the fondant to match on all the tiers. What a nightmare!!! It was dry and cracked, tore and got bubbles in it. My husband said maybe it was just a bad batch and I should call them. Two big buckets of fondant that cost $$$. So disappointing. My sister drove from out of town to help me and I kept saying I don't know what is going on I never have this trouble with my MMF.

As for me and my house...we will keep making MMF.

Phyan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyan Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 6:14am
post #51 of 51

I've been getting hit and misses... Depends on the day. I'm so disappointed in how my last cake came out. I'm dont know if it's the weather or what it is. All I want is consistency when it comes to making MMF. I love that it's so yummy but hate how it's so temperamental.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%