Need To Make Or Buy Rainbow-Striped Fondant Ribbon...?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm by Texas_Rose

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 6

so, of course I said "Sure! I can do that!" when shown a cake pic to replicate.

It's a whimsical cake with ribbon bow loops and a single ribbon border with a bow, and this fondant ribbon has about 5 stripes of color in it, super cool, but...

Now I'm not sure how in the HECK to produce this look. Is there a readymade ribbon I can order (can't find one), or a way to make this? I thought of just rolling white ribbon out and painting it, but the pic I have to work with doesn't look painted--it looks like colored fondant stripes and is very cool. I can attach the pic if anyone wants to see it...

Any help would be SO appreciated--cake due in 4 weeks, right in the middle of my big bridal festivalo here, too, ack. Thanks!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have a herb mincer? You can cut strips and stick them on a solid background. You could cut the strips without, but it would be easier with it.

I'd like to see the picture if you'd post it, it sounds neat.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 6

Do you have a pic of the cake?...It really depends. Some people lay the stripes on top of the gumpaste others press them together with a pasta machine..
You can tell by the picture wich technique they used.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 6

Here's a pic, thanks for your help guys!
LL

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 6

From the look of the pic they have cut very narrow strips of coloured fondant and put them on one by one. The bow at the bottom looks like those narrow strip were adhered to a blue fondant base then made into a bow. This is definitely doable without fancy equipment; if I were you I'd just cut your fondant into really narrow strips using a ruler and pizza cutter/sharp knife the lay them on one by one. HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 6

You could definitely make those strips with the herb mincer. It looks like they put them on solid purple strips. It's not an expensive tool, $5 at Target icon_biggrin.gif

The only ribbon that will be tricky is the one that goes all the way around the tier, but I can see little joins in the colored strips on that one and they're not that noticeable since they're not all in one spot.

I made the stripes on the bottom tier of this one with the herb mincer:
(Ignore the bulges, please icon_razz.gif This is also my example photo of why it's not good to use regular drinking straws as supports icon_biggrin.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%