Need Filling Ideas For A Spice Cake

Decorating By LizzyLaw06 Updated 3 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm by LizzyLaw06

LizzyLaw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyLaw06 Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 16

Doctored DH spice cake(with buttermilk, cin, applesauce) and i'm stumbling for flavors for fillings that would work well with this. everyone tells me to just use icing, but i'd like to have a couple other things i could offer. one idea was an apple filling just because i put applesauce in the mix. would that work and any other ideas would be great

15 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 16

I thought something apple, or maybe caramel apple or maybe just caramel.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:13am
post #3 of 16

I think caramel sound like a good idea too. what about some SMBC with some apple butter in it, or light cinnamon cream cheese, or brown sugar SMBC. gosh I think it would pair well with so many things...it'ld be a shame to not pair it with something other than vanilla.

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:32am
post #4 of 16

I think just a cream cheese buttercream would be good. Don't want the filling to over power or distract you from the flavors you put in the cake when you do something special with your mix.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #5 of 16

I would go w/ apple or caramel filling. If you go to the latino section in your grocery they have small cans about the size of condensed milk. It's thick, creamy & oh so yummy!!! I think it's LaLeche. Comstock has a special edition of Caramel Apple filling. Steer clear of it---it tastes like chemicals!!!

If you want buttercream I think cinnamon, caramel, brown sugar, apple spice or pumpkin spice would go well

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:42am
post #6 of 16

When I make Spice cake I fill it alot of times with a Chocolate Hazelnut Filling.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:47am
post #7 of 16

I am thinking since it is a doctored mix with cinnamon, apple sauce and spice then why not a brown sugar cream cheese combo.

The brown sugar would compliment the apple and cinnamon flavors while the cream cheese would be tart and give the sweetness some balance.

Never tried making a combo of brown sugar and cream cheese butter cream/filling together, but maybe you can do the filling separately and have a three layer cake.

HTH

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:51am
post #8 of 16

i vote for cream cheese or caramel!

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:52am
post #9 of 16

I made a spice cake with blackberry filling and cream cheese icing last fall....everyone LOVED it - the flavors were terrific together. It was on Epicurious .com if you wanted to look at the combo of flavors/spices.

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:22am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoycake

I made a spice cake with blackberry filling and cream cheese icing last fall....everyone LOVED it - the flavors were terrific together. It was on Epicurious .com if you wanted to look at the combo of flavors/spices.

that sounds delightful....I would love to put a little lemon in that cream cheese frosting....yummmmmm.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #11 of 16

i also made a spice cake with blackberry filling and cream cheese icing last summer for my sil.. they said it was delicious.. hth

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 1:54am
post #12 of 16

How about a mixture of 8 oz. of honey walnut cream cheese and a jar of marshmallow cream? I mix raspberry cream cheese and marshmallow cream and it makes a great filling. I think the honey walnut would probably be delicious, too.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:10am
post #13 of 16

Not sure if this would work, but I make a caramel pie at Christmas by boiling cans of sweetened condensed milk. It turns a nice color with a caramel flavor and is ooey gooey thick deliciousness. Maybe mix with cream cheese to cut down on the sweetness. I'm pretty sure I got the idea off a can, but I can't remember which brand. You have to boil them for about an hour though, so be careful as those suckers get HOT.

dandelion56602 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:56am
post #14 of 16

Oooh, another idea hit me while I was driving home. Butter rum buttercream. You don't have to use alcohol (unless you want to), but McCormick's Rum flavoring has a great butter rum flavor, not to strong on the "rum".

dandelion56602 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #15 of 16

Oooh, another idea hit me while I was driving home. Butter rum buttercream. You don't have to use alcohol (unless you want to), but McCormick's Rum flavoring has a great butter rum flavor, not to strong on the "rum".

LizzyLaw06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyLaw06 Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 10:04pm
post #16 of 16

wow! thanks everyone for your ideas. they are ALL great I love the rum buttercream and caramel ideas. I think i may try those as well as an apple filling! thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%