Royal Icing And Spongebob Eyes !!!

Decorating By kausha Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 7:17am by CandyCU

kausha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kausha Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 11:15am
post #1 of 13

ok..i need to make a spongebob cake for my son's 3rd bday ( 5th dec!!! )and thought of using butter cream BUT my problem and doubt is..i cant make white fondant!!! since i use marshmallow fondant and here in italy its is very diff. to get white marshmallows..we get those coloured ones icon_sad.gif
So i thought of using royal icing for the white part of his eyes !! and maybe some other small parts too..

this is the pic of the spongebob icon_smile.gif

http://www.poster.net/spongebob/spongebob-spongebob-squarepants-9962695.jpg

what my question is..
1.how do i make two eyes?
2. is it possible to make it one day before so that i cud just attach it to the finished cake??
3. how long does it take for the royal icing to dry??

pls help icon_sad.gif

icon_sad.gif

12 replies
CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 13

Yes, you could use royal icing for all the white parts of spongebob. Get the picture of spongebob the exact size that you're going to do your cake. Place a piece of baking paper over it and attach it with some sticky tape so it doesn't move around. With medium thick royal icing pipe the outline of the eyes, teeth and shirt onto the paper. With thinner royal icing fill in the shapes and poke it around a bit with a toothpick so it fills in the corners. Allow to dry very well before touching or adding any other colours. Here are a couple of videos that I quickly found that show similar techniques (but on cookies instead of paper):

I hope this helps and/or maybe someone else has a better way or solution?

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 13

Royal icing should work fine for the eyes. I suggest using this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1983/antonia74-royal-icing I just made this recipe this weekend and it worked wonderfully. I've tried Wilton's royal icing recipe before and it went horribly - It just wouldn't dry. And I've heard alot of people on here say they use this recipe. Mine dried in about an hour, and making them the day before is definetely the way to go. Makes it much easier, and then you know they are very well dried. You can make the eyes by simply tracing something you've printed out. Put a piece of parchement paper over the paper that has your image is on. After you've let it dry you just remove it from the paper. Hope this helped.

kausha Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 13

Hi candyCU and tab_stout icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much for replying..now am much clearer about the royal icing..

candyCu - thanx again for those videos, i had gone through them on youtubeicon_smile.gif
tab_stout - guess i cant make the recipe u had stated 'cos i dont find cream of tartar & meringue powder that easily in italy..but very nice of you to have adviced me icon_smile.gif

OK..now the eyes will be ok, jut one more curiosity icon_sad.gif for the eyes: could I spread the white royal icing and then on top another blue circle and again smaller circle of black? like the eyes of the picture ??

am so sorry if am asking too much, am a newbie to the cake decorating.

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 13

Sorry you can't find cream of tartar & meringue there. I've thought about to italy..sounds wonderful there, but that would be difficult not finding the same things you can here. And don't worry about asking to many questions, that's what this website is for - I have asked my share of questions on here as well, as I am just a newbie too. I just have used royal icing before. To answer your question, yes you can add the other colors on top for the eyes. Just let each layer dry before you add the next color, otherwise the colors will all blend together. I hope your little boy loves his cake. I just made a spongebob cake for my little boy's birthday this year and he was so excited. And just a bit of advice you may want to make an extra eye just incase one breaks or your little boy destroys it, lol - mine is good at that. He at the nose of his spongebob cake before I even got it on the cake, luckily it was fondant so I could just roll out another one. Have fun decorating!

kausha Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 13

hey tab_stout !!

great to see ur reply again icon_smile.gif yeah,italy is a nice place and one finds everything except for those like me icon_razz.gif lol just kidding
wow, i cant wait to make the cake ^_^ i hope my kiddo likes it. thank you so much again for your advices and so lovely to hear about ur little one too..he liked the fondant nose ...i cudn't help laughing ..i was just imagining it ...!! such a cutie icon_biggrin.gif
take care and thank u again ..

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 13

i just made sponge bob, he was in the gallery, i crumb coated, and marked where i wanted everything, i did it with the 3 star tip, and filled in with single star. on think i wish i would have used a non crusting bc. it was pretty easy, and i think i used 2 batches of bc. i'll try to post a pic. but they loved the cake

kausha Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 13

wow ninatat , cant wait to have a peep on your work.. *_* hope u could post some fotos soon and am sure that everyone loved the cake icon_biggrin.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 13

i'm trying to shrink it, i took it with my camera on 4 instead of ten, next time i'll take a pic to make sure all the white spots are filled in lol

CandyCU Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 12:51am
post #10 of 13

Kausha, I'm glad I could help!

Happy baking! I bet your son and everyone else will just love it! I'd really like to see the pics when you're done!

kausha Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #11 of 13

hey candyCU,

sure i will definetley post some fotos..I only hope it will turn out good icon_razz.gif my cakes are pretty good...i mean everyone loves it..its the frosting i am a little scared O.o... i will give it a try...its the end of the worldicon_biggrin.gif he he thanks again and hv a nice day ...tc

kausha Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 13

hey all,

i have posted a foto of the spongebob cake..it didnt turn out the way i wanted BUT i am satisfied with what i did for with the few little utensils and colors i had..i mean it is so very time consuming, the worst was my son was not feeling too good..and had to take care of him and then the cake too...!!
I had forgotten to outline the left side of the shirt..but no one noticed it..Thank God icon_razz.gif everyone liked it and got so many compliments
I found white/pink marshmallows so i used the white part for the fondant!! then used them for the eyes,shirt etc...anyway, tell me what u think and pls dont hesitate to advice me...i need them icon_biggrin.gif

thank you to all of u for the advices u gave icon_smile.gif cheers..

CandyCU Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:17am
post #13 of 13

Hey Kausha,

I just had a look at the finished cake, it looks awsome! Turned out pretty well in the end considering you were playing 'nurse Mum' at the same time! I can see a few very minor things with this, buttercream is a tricky medium to get perfect detail and I know you didn't have many colours to work with (please advise me if I'm out of line). Here I go - you didn't outline the bottoms of the eyes in black, his shirt could have been a little brown just by adding a little uncoloured buttercream, the green spots could have maybe been a bit more solid looking and a little more 'khaki' colour just by adding a touch of black or brown? - see now I'm just nitpicking - but you replicated him really, really, really well!!! and your buttercream is beautifully smooth all over.

You did a great job! I'm really glad your son loved it - I'm picturing the little tacker bouncing around saying "spongebob! spongebob! spongebob!" LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%