Making Cookie Kits For Kids

Baking By Texas_Rose Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm by Texas_Rose

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 5

I'm thinking of offering to make cookie decorating kits for my daughter's class to use during the class Christmas party. To keep the mess to a minimum, I would cover the cookies with fondant before the party. Each child would get a large tree cookie on a styrofoam plate, stored in a gallon ziplock bag, with a smaller bag of decorations (cut from fondant and dried) inside the bag. As the activity began I would pass out a paintbrush and a tiny cup with a small amount of gum glue to each child. After they decorated the cookies they would have the option of luster dust added to it (done at one desk only to minimize mess). Then the cookie could be stored on the plate in the bag to be taken home.

Does this sound like a good idea? Would it be too simple for 2nd grade? Are there any big mess potentials that I'm not thinking of?

4 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 5

I think you've got an excellent project! I'm guessing the kids will enjoy it, and you've got the "mess potential" nearly eliminated.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 5

Sounds great. I'm a teacher, and I would let you do this. icon_smile.gif However, clear it all with your child's teacher. I am also the mother of a child with allergies-- you may want to check with the teacher about that as well and make sure your recipe is safe for all. The fondant is unlikely to be a problem, but the cookie recipe may be. And many parents (me included) would be uncomfortable with their child eating things baked in someone else's kitchen if they did not know you well. If this happened at my child's school, I'd probably let him decorate it but not eat it. I'd send something for him to eat if needed. It sounds like you plan to send them home anyway rather than consuming in class. Just something to think about-- and you are to be commended for attempting something so potentially complex and with such attention to detail/mess prevention.

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

And many parents (me included) would be uncomfortable with their child eating things baked in someone else's kitchen if they did not know you well.

My kids school only allows store bought prepackaged foods. No homemade goodies allowed.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 5

It's funny how the rules are different between schools. My kids go to two different elementary schools in the same district, about three miles apart from each other. One of the schools not only asks for homemade stuff, they beg for it icon_biggrin.gif And the other school does not allow it at all, according to school policy...they won't even allow cupcakes from the grocery store because they're not individually wrapped. So this is for the school that does allow the homemade stuff icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%