Coloring Fondant Red

Decorating By grannymo Updated 2 Dec 2009 , 1:05am by tonedna

grannymo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannymo Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 12

I need to color fondant red for a christmas cake (Santa's bag). I know it is going to take alot of no taste red. Is this going to come out red or do I have to add another color to help out. Thanks for your help.

11 replies
Aliq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliq Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 12

I have the same doubt, any body can help???

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 12

You can use a combination of no-taste red and Wilton's christmas red.

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 12

I asked the same thing the other day. Everyone suggested just buying the Satin Ice red fondant. It will be much easier and there's no doubt that it might not work. I'm afraid of ruining perfectly good white fondant and just ending up with pink! I'm heading out tomorrow to get the red. Good luck!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 12

Use red powdered coloring.... I usually end up using both no taste red and powdered red and I get a nice color.

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 12

If you have an airbrush, red on the fondant and leaving a pinkish color and then airbrushing slowly until you get the red you like.

If you see in my photos, the one with red roses, I did it this way, except I colored the gumpaste with liquid red, and then airbrush with a mix of red and little bit of black.

If you go to my website, the red cake, (bottom left), was done with red satin ice, I didn't add anything to it. And I got that red.
Good luck!

If you don't have time I say buy red satin ice.

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 12

I've had good luck with Americolor's super red gel. I usually color a day ahead of time to let it sit and soak up the color.

Aliq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliq Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 12

The powder color is added when you are preparing fondant?, or is possible to add the powder when you have the white fondant ready?

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 12

Americolor super red you don't need much and get the red you want instantly will darken if you let it sit.

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 12

If you have the option to purchase it, then do that. Satin Ice makes a wonderful red color.
If your making your own (MMF for example), replace some/lots of the liquid with your red coloring (I dont use wilton -- use one of the gel options -- see my note below).
If you have some already made (purchased or home-made), use powder food color or gel coloring (see note below). And make it AT LEAST 1 day ahead (longer if you can). The color will deepen as it sits.

For the red-gel color I use Bakery Crafts - Super Red. I LOVE THIS STUFF!! It only takes a few drops to make a nice red (I'm not kidding). I got a 13 oz bottle 3 years ago and I still have almost 1/2 left.

HTH

TammyH

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 12:55am
post #11 of 12

I add the red powder after the fondant is made.... just knead it in.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Dec 2009 , 1:05am
post #12 of 12

Chefmaster's Super Red gives you a real true red, is beautiful!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%