Roll Fondant With Vinyl????

Decorating By Beckup Updated 28 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm by cylstrial

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:00am
post #1 of 6

For all you experienced CCer's. I've seen that some of you roll your fondant on vinyl or in between vinyl. This has to be better than using PS or CS (which is driving me crazy!). It leaves my fondant with small little cracks! icon_cry.gif Please Help! TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:05am
post #2 of 6

I've been using this method for many, many years. I bought some really thick vinyl and I roll my fondant on that (I don't grease or powder). When it is rolled out I flip the vinyl, fondant and all, over on my cake and gently peel the vinyl away from the fondant.

Easy-peasy.

Beckup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckup Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:21am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the help. Do you roll it between two sheets or just on top of one sheet? What type of fondant do you use?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 7:22am
post #4 of 6

Just on top.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 6

Sure that is one way. With chocolate fondant, you don't need a mat. You can just roll it right out on the counter. I never get any elephant skin or cracks..... ever.

There are lots of methods and lots of fondants out there, the key is to find one that tastes GOOD and performs well for you.

Jen icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Nov 2009 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 6

I use vinyl, but I still put a small amount of cornstarch on the vinyl. I guess I'll try it without and see if I like it though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%