Help!! I Need Silver Icing!

Baking By Joanne3554 Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm by ApplegumKitchen

Joanne3554 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne3554 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 1:49am
post #1 of 11

Can anyone tell me how to make silver icing? I also need navy blue icing.
I need to be able to spread it onto cookies. I am new to decorating cookies and need so many tips and tons of advice! PLEASE HELP!

10 replies
Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 11

I dont know of any way to make it the real silver. When I have done silver i had to brush over what I wanted silver with silver luster dust mixed with vodka or almond extract.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:05am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettooth1120

I dont know of any way to make it the real silver. When I have done silver i had to brush over what I wanted silver with silver luster dust mixed with vodka or almond extract.

I do the same.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 11

Navy blue is just royal blue with black added until it turns navy.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 11

For navy, you'd just use a navy food color.
For silver icing, you could color the icing grey (putting some black into white icing will make grey) and then use silver luster dust to shine it up. Luster dust comes in powder form. You could either brush it on as is or the way i like to use it is by mixing it with a little lemon extract (it evaporates to leave a nice shine on the decoration) or vodka. HTH

tomswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomswife Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:23am
post #6 of 11

I would use the Wilton quick pour icing. Add a TINY bit of black to the icing to create grey - then get wilton silver luster dust, you can mix some into the actual icing, then you could dust the luster dust over that part while it (only that color) is still wet - holding a large brush (like a blush or powder brush) over the icing (not touching) and kind of flick it to get a nice shimmery top on the light grey. Hope that helps.

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 2:56am
post #7 of 11

Also just a quick tip when mixing dark colours. Try to mix them the day before as colours deepen overnite. This way you get to use way less food colour which I have found in the past can leave a bitter taste.

luv2bake6 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 3:27am
post #8 of 11

that's a great tip that i forgot to mention......especially true with black

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 6:10am
post #9 of 11

Have just done some cookies with black fondant and put 'super pearl' lustre dust over the top ...... they look a GREAT silver now!!

Will post pic in a few hours

luv2bake6 Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 11

cant wait to see

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 11

OK - this is the black fondant with no lustre and after I applied the 'super pearl' lustre dust..... see how easy to get silver

OOPS - looks like ....my AFTER photo has appeared before my BEFORE icon_redface.gif

Oh well - I guess the SMART PEOPLE will work that out! LOL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%