How Do I Make Poodles For A 50's Cake???

Decorating By cakesnkisses Updated 27 Nov 2009 , 5:49am by BCJean

cakesnkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkisses Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 2:50am
post #1 of 6

I bought a dog cookie cutout but how can I make him look fluffy??? Any suggestions??? I am sticking them on the sides of a fifties cake for my daughter's bday!!!

5 replies
Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:18am
post #2 of 6

Maybe try thick royal icing or butter cream and just spoon or spatula it on, don't smooth it, if you need it really puffy let it dry(royal) or fridge it(buttercream) then give it another coat. Hope this helps, or at least gives some inspiration!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 6

I would just build up the fluffiest parts of the poodle--the poof on the head, the tail, and the front part of the body and around the little ankles.

If you want to pipe the puffs, do it with royal or buttercream with a round piping tip--

OR, if you'd like to roll little balls of fondant to make the fluffy texture and attach to the cut out with a little water, that would be cute too!

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 6

For the poodles on my fifties cake, I took a pic off the computer of a greyhoud dog, I cut it out, then traced it onto fondant with a exacto knife, I stuck them to the side of the cake, and then took white buttercream and added the fluffy fur.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 4:05am
post #5 of 6

I made a 1950s themed cake a few weeks ago (see in my pics) and put a poodle on the skirt.
I cut a basic shape out of fondant then rolled tiny balls of fondant and squished them slightly while gluing them all over the body, you could squish them less if you wanted it really 'fluffy'
HTH

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 27 Nov 2009 , 5:49am
post #6 of 6

I made a poodle on this cake, using buttercream. For the poofy parts I used a tip #2 and just squeezed really hard on the bag so the lines came out squiggly and made the poodles curly hair.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=642253

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%