Top Table Wedding Cake Pricing?

Business By Cathy26 Updated 25 Nov 2009 , 3:59am by 7yyrt

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 14

Hi guys, I've been asked to do a top table wedding cake for one of my best customers and Im having a bit of trouble getting the servings right and pricing.

Basically she wants to serve the cake at the buffet and its for 250 people. Im taking it that say 180 will want cake, so I worked it out that id use 2 10 inch cakes for the top table side by side to make a rectangle and then have 2 12 inch kitchen cakes for serving.
Im thinking that if i use a 30 x18 inch cake board then I'l have plently of room for putting the figures on - she wants 16 figures!!!! 2 will be heads peeking out from under the table but the rest will be whole figures.

what the heck do I charge? I dont want to be really extortionate since this customer has given me sooooo much business through word of mouth but i also have to think that when i actually do the cake I wil be in my own shop and solely depending on cakes for my living rather than as a sideline.

I was thinking £200 sterling for the top table and then £70 for the 2 kitchen cakes. Im really torn, i know the figures are going to take ages but at the same time the cake itself is very simple and there is no stacking, etc plus the tiers are only one 3 inch sponge high rather than 2 sponges levelled to 5 or 6 inches so that's also saving me money.

also, what would you advise setting the figures on - should i use a block of wood or something as a bench?

Thanks in advance, im a bit lost here icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 14

Well, I'm pretty confused. And that's for the pictures, cause I had no idea what a top table cake was! Those are too cute.

I can say one thing, though. If there are 250 people being served at the buffet, I'd plan on 250 servings of cake. I always tell brides to buy drink, food, beverages and cake for each of their guests. And to also have table space and a chair for each guest.

Now that's for guests, not invitees.

And doing the math, you've got 244 servings, so close enough.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 14

That is TO cute! As far as price...OMG, LOTS of time.... lots of $$$$.

Jen icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 14

Wow....like a thousand dollars. Certainly no less, maybe more. Those figurines alone are worth their weight in gold. Done exactly as pictured.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 14

What a novel idea! I have never seen anything like that before! I'm with Jamie on this one...$1000 min!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 14

That's so cute. Can't help you with pricing. Sorry.

What's a kitchen cake? Is that an additional sheet cake?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

That's so cute. Can't help you with pricing. Sorry.

What's a kitchen cake? Is that an additional sheet cake?

A kitchen cake is just a cake kept in the kitchen for additional servings.

To OP, OMGosh! icon_eek.gif I've never seen cakes like that. Whatever the rate you normally charge and multiply by 2 or 3 times. If you want to discount, then do the multiplication and give her 10% off or something.

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy26

I dont want to be really extortionate....

So, as a general rule, do you feel your prices are at an extortionary level? icon_lol.gif Most people would say mine were. icon_twisted.gif But really it's just having the good sense to charge appropriately.

Cathy26 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy26

I dont want to be really extortionate....

So, as a general rule, do you feel your prices are at an extortionary level? icon_lol.gif Most people would say mine were. icon_twisted.gif But really it's just having the good sense to charge appropriately.

no im just the opposite - im definitly on the cheap side, but then this was always a sideline and hobby before so i wanted to get loads of orders to see if I could actually do cakeing seriously and then ive gradually put up my prices which are still ridiculously cheap for example im charging £50 sterling for an 8 inch and 6 inch two tier with figure like the ones in my pics.

thats what's awkward about this, i can see how much work there is in it even though im pretty fast at figures, but i feel weird about charging like £500 for a cake to a customer and her family who have given me so much support and SO MUCH word of mouth business.

If i was just doing this as a normal cake it wouldnt be such a hassle but by March il be in my own shop trying to do this for a living so i cant underprice myself - so hard to know!!!!

Im thinking of maybe doing 3x 8 inch squares to give a longer table and then add kitchen cakes on. The guide I was using said you got 60 from a 12 inch square and 40 for a 10 inch and 24 for a 8 inch - does this sound right?

Im thinking maybe £300 all in for everything?
i.e. three 8 inches, to give 75 servings plus three 12 inches to give 180 totalling 255 servings.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks Jammjenks- That's what I thought.

Cathy, How much do you usually charge per figure?

__Jamie__ Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 14

I'm thinking you should charge that person the same as anyone else. She might appreciate the consistent business- like approach you take with her. Just a thought. Hardest thing in the world is to come up in price after being low.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 14

Yep, $1000, easy! i'm thinking $20 per figurine and at least $2.50-$3.00 per serving of cake.

Cathy26 Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 14

ahhh business - its so awkward with people you know!

will work out exactly what it will cost me to make and how long (i usually take about 30-50 minutes per figure and my cake pricing always includes one figure but i add on £5 sterling each per extra figure.

i do need to get my ass in gear price wise before i start up in the shop - its proper business now and not just a pocket money business, but i know it will be easier to ask higher prices from my old customers once im set up as they will appreciate that i have overheads and am trying to actually run a business from then on in ......hopefully icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Nov 2009 , 3:59am
post #14 of 14

FYI:   
(UK£ 5) British pounds = $13.74482 U.S. Dollars

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%