How Do I Make A Scratch Devils Food Cake More Dense?

Baking By Jaieni Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 1:42am by JanH

Jaieni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaieni Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 3

Hi!

So I have this devils food cake recipe that I absoloutley LOVE but I need it to be a bit more dense so it holds up to carving. How would I go about making a recipe more dense without messing with it's deliciousness? This was prob. asked before, but search does not work for me for some reason icon_sad.gif Thanks!

This is the recipe if it helps...
3oz unsweet. choc.
2.5 c sifted cake flour
2t baking soda
1/2t salt
1/4# butter
2t vanilla
2.5 c dk brn sugar
3 eggs
1/2c buttermilk
1c boiling water

2 replies
masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 3

Hey.. sorry no one has replied!! sheesh... it's like a ghost town around here. anyway, here's what i would do to dense it up... I would add an extra egg first off.

Then it's all about the liquid that matters.. how much of it you're using and what type. Water is pretty much interchangeable in a recipe.. if you want to dense it up, I would subtitute the water with AT LEAST whole milk.. but if you want it dense I would substitute the water with sour cream or mayonaise... it might sound odd, but it will give more structure to your cake, and it won't really affect the flavor at all. give it a try and see! another great water or milk substitute is coffee creamer! you can use hazelnut for a chocoalte cake or just use the plain creamer...

You also could try cutting the liquid... so if it calls for a cup of liquid, you could knock off a quarter of a cup or so.

Let me know how it turns out!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%