Can I Make A Cake Any Uglier?

Decorating By JuneBugBaby Updated 12 Dec 2009 , 2:20am by JenniferMI

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 6:58pm
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

Unless you plan to become a pro - I have to disagree here - I've never taken a cake class or had any lessons other than what I've learnt myself, here & Youtube.

All I can say, is, if it truly interests you, you WILL get round the probs, patience & perserveriance is the key. You are definitely in the right place here on CC as there are loads of lovely cakesters ready to help. If you need help, just be as detailed as poss in your posts and the cakesters will guide you.

Check out Youtube on baking/frosting/stacking - everything! You will be proud you've 'taught' yourself!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Sorry I have to disagree with your disagree.. lol..

I understand what you are saying. Yes, there is a TON of info on the web, But chances are that some of those videos on youtube that you learned from were from actual Wilton instructors .. lol.. To me self taught is old school.. Way back before there was any classes, youtube or the internet and you had to pick up a bag and practice until you finally figured it out. Yes there is a wealth of info on Youtube and you can see everything, sometimes even step by step. But there is nobody there to answer your question/questions if you have one/them. Nothing like being in a class or with a teacher so you can ask and learn. And having a room full of people to talk CAKE with.. lol.. Even if the OP is only thinking of making cakes for family and friends, Wilton is a great (doesn't cost that much) way of taking a class. Just to see if you like it enough to keep going.

AND OMG EDNA~ I can't believe your first cake compared to your cakes now icon_eek.gif WOW!!!. I wonder if I stil have a picture of my first clas cake.. I may have burned it.. lol..

OP~ I would suggest if you have a class near by then take it.. I think you will enjoy it very much. Just keep on practicing. And like you said if all else fails there is Bannanna Pudding. lol.. I love nanner pudding.. lol.. icon_biggrin.gif

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 3 Dec 2009 , 7:21pm
post #32 of 35

First cake?!..and second...and third....! icon_cry.gif I am still working on it also. Keep going, around my house there are less and less "words of blessing" bestowed on my projects than there was before! tapedshut.gif

JuneBugBaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneBugBaby Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #33 of 35

You guys are great... and a great laugh! icon_lol.gif I have posted a few of my first cakes.... I am making my first 2 tier cake for my mom's work on Monday. AHH!! Hopefully it will look okay... and if not hopefully it will taste okay! The ladies at my moms work are great so they'll eat it either way! haha... icon_biggrin.gif

I am going to take a class in January! I'm SO excited!! Hubby said that was one of my x-mas gifts... only reason I know is because I have to sign up this week!! icon_biggrin.gif Hopefully I'll have a few new tricks after the class!

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:35am
post #34 of 35

not agreeing or disagreeing. if you enjoy decorating cakes, go for it. i had no idea what i was doing on my first cake. i saw duff do a car cake on ace of cakes and thought...well! that looks easy! why cant i? well...i couldnt b/c i had no clue where to start, but my fiance loved his truck cake anyways. the only way i learned anything (and keep learning and learning and learning..we are the caker-gizer bunnies around here) is by doing. if i mess up, oh well. i fix the problem next time. i learn new techniques by reading forum posts on here. i just found the good decorating vids on youtube last night, so there ya go. if you enjoy it, just do it. there is no harm in trying. good luck in everything!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 12 Dec 2009 , 2:20am
post #35 of 35

Practice....practice....

This board is a wealth of info.....

My best wishes to you -

Jen icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%