Pecan Pie Runny Center

Decorating By Deborah1152 Updated 21 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm by akgirl10

Deborah1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deborah1152 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 8

I know this is about cakes but I need help with pecan pie. I have used the came receipt for 20 years. I cook it as directed 400 for 15 min 375 for 40 min. Now the problem. sometimes the tops so hard you can't eat & the middle may be runny or the top is ok & middle is runny. What can be done flour -Cornstarch?? I also use pie ring to help the crust not burn & foil over the top to help with hardness?? Any help??

7 replies
Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:04am
post #2 of 8

Have you been having the same problem for 20 years, or is this a new problem? Have any of your ingredients or their sources changed?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 12:20am
post #3 of 8

Any time I've seen this happen, the culprit has been undercooking.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 11:41am
post #4 of 8

I agree with Kelleym. Undercooked. I use baking time as a guideline. I remove only when I see the actual pie filling moving in a wave motion - I guess the filling is kinda "boiling" in the oven!

I crimp a strip of foil around the edges of the crust before baking. I then bake as directed until the last 15 minutes of the given baking time, then remove the foil to allow browning of the crust.

Many of my friends who try my pecan pie recipe tell me the pies were runny. I never experience that.

Deborah1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deborah1152 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeasyoulikeit

Have you been having the same problem for 20 years, or is this a new problem? Have any of your ingredients or their sources changed?

I USE THE SAME INGREDIENTS I USE FRESH EGGS I HAVE ADDED A 4 EGG TO SEE IT THAT WORKS I USE KARO SYRUP I HAVE EVNN TRYED ADDING LESS. I USE DIXIE CRYSTAL SUGAR & REAL BUTTER I MAY COOK 4 PIES 1 AT THE TIME OR EVEN 2 SOMETIMES SOME OF THEM WILL HAVE A RUNNY TO SURPY MIDDLE THE REST IS GOOD. I HAVE USED THE DIRECTIONS ON KARO AND ALSO OTHER BUT TO NO AVAIL.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 8

Have you been making the pies in the same OVEN for 20 years? Maybe your oven needs a look-see.

Rincewind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rincewind Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 8

Have you tried adding hot filling to your pie crust? If not, you might give it a try. You'd also need to lower your oven temperature to 250 degrees (after you've partially baked the pie crust).

Good luck.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 8:12pm
post #8 of 8

I'd check your oven's temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%