Oh Dear, Stupid Hair

Business By jsmith Updated 1 Dec 2009 , 1:11am by Jeep_girl816

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 15

I just gave a cake to a customer and when I later looked at the picture I took I see a piece of hair fell on it. I wear hair restraints but it must have fallen off my clothing when I was rushing to get the picture taken. I am horrified. Should I call or email to apologize or wait and see if she even notices? I'm usually so good about catching these things!

14 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 15

Ya know, for all the precautions in the world that you can take, sometimes it just happens. I came home from work one day, plopped down on my white sofa, came back awhile later, and there was a long curly red hair on it. I lived alone when this happened, my hair is blonde, I didn't know anyone with hair like this, work with anyone with hair like this, and I certainly didn't have any visitors over. It's amazing the things you pick up in passing, people bumping into you, people brushing up against your handbag, your shopping bag.....the possibilities are endless.

I know this didn't answer your question, but man, it just happens. I wouldn't say a word. It may blow off when she moves it, she may just pluck it off and not think twice about it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 15

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, because if she didn't see a hair, you're going to borrow trouble!

I have problems too....I wear my hair back and lint roller my clothes and I STILL end up finding hairs here or there.

jsmith Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 15

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll just wait nervously to see if she says anything! I hope she thinks it belongs to someone else at the party. icon_redface.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, because if she didn't see a hair, you're going to borrow trouble!

Haha - I like that "Borrow Trouble" dont need to borrow any - got enough of my own thanks!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 15

I worry about hair A LOT! I wear a hair restraint too, but I still find them on the floor. I think they must be on my clothes. Anyway the other night at dinner I saw a hair on my son's plate (at a restaurant). Honestly I would rather find a hair than something else though. I also know how hard it is to start work and feel like you have to go through some wind tunnel or wear a moon suit to keep hair from falling someplace. So I decided I wouldnt say anything. But then I had another thought...it might have actually been my son's hair anyway.

Maybe the hair will blow off. I'd probably just wait to see if she notices. If she does complain, I'd apologize and just tell her maybe it fell off your clothes during delivery.

jsmith Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 15

I always check my cakes to make sure no lint or hairs fell on it but this must have fallen on in the couple of minutes I took a picture and boxed it up. I'm so embarrassed. So far though she hasn't called or emailed to say anything about it. So hopefully she didn't notice or care. The party was yesterday morning so it seems I would have heard something by now but I know better than to think I'm out of the clear yet. Still keeping my fingers crossed and ready with that apology!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 15

Are you sure the hair wasn't on your camera lens and just appeared to be on the cake when you took the picture?

jsmith Posted 23 Nov 2009 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 15

I really hope that's the case. From the picture it looks like it settled on the edge but that'd be fantastic if it was just on my lens. I still haven't heard from her so I hope that's a good thing.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 15

Hey, stuff happens. IF they say anything, I would try to explain how careful you are.... otherwise, let it ride.

Jen icon_smile.gif

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 24 Nov 2009 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 15

If she did see it, she may have thought it came from someone at the party.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Nov 2009 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 15

I got offered to make a christmas cake for a school fair. I iced it and decorated it making sure It was as perfect as I can make it. Then I suddenly say a small piece of hair (I think it was a hair) actually in the icing. I must have rolled the icing with the hair in it. I couldn't take it out as it would ruin the icing so I left it. Hopefully it won't get noticed, even I didn't notice it until the end.

browniebatterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
browniebatterer Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:22am
post #13 of 15

Sometimes stuff just happens. Hopefully the hair fell off at some point, or she will think it came from the car or something. I think that if it wasn't inside the cake, then it will be OK.
One time I had one of those little fuzzies you get from clothes fall on a cake and the client's 5 year old daughter made fun of me the next time I dropped off a cake. I was so embarrassed, and the client just stood there watching my reaction smugly.

jsmith Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 12:49am
post #14 of 15

Well, I still haven't heard anything from her about finding a hair so maybe it's ok. Thanks for the support. Sometimes I wish it were fashionable to just be bald, I get so paranoid about my hair. Brownie, that's terrible they made such a big deal about a piece of fuzz! That's kind of rude of them.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 1 Dec 2009 , 1:11am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ya know, for all the precautions in the world that you can take, sometimes it just happens. I came home from work one day, plopped down on my white sofa, came back awhile later, and there was a long curly red hair on it. I lived alone when this happened, my hair is blonde, I didn't know anyone with hair like this, work with anyone with hair like this, and I certainly didn't have any visitors over.

oooh! A ghost hair!!!LOL! That would seriously freak me out! Jerry Seinfeld did a bit on hair one time, I don't remember exact wording but something along the lines of "On your head, people love hair, the touch, the smell, etc, but once it becomes detached from the head it becomes the most vile thing in the universe" so true! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%