Cooked Fudge

Sugar Work By Kitagrl Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 5:31am by Mom23Angels

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 11

I tried for the first time to make cooked fudge with cocoa (for someone who can't have soy) and it was a disaster!!!! It was dry and crumbly and hard, and a BIG mess.

I did accidentally let it get one degree too high...and I also could have beat it too long after it cooled.

Anyone know what I did wrong?

10 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 11

Cooked fudge is an art to master! LOL I think you let it cook too long. I let mine get to the hardball stage and go just a little bit longer, no thermometer; too much and it's hard as a rock, not enough and it ends up being a terrible sticky mess that we have to use over ice cream. I did find out though that I can fix the sticky kind by putting it in the microwave and stirring often. The sugar gets more gritty but the fudge is a little softer to bite into. We actually like it better when I mess it up, so now my kids ask me to screw it up everytime!

Kitagrl Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 11

Hmm. My instructions said soft ball. I got a candy thermometer and its marked as soft ball with the temp (235 I think) and I kept checking on it but then it did go a degree over.

It was SOOOO thick and sticky when it cooled, and then I got what I could of it in a mixer and beat it like the instructions said and it almost immediately turned dry and chunky. *sigh*

I really wanted to make fudge so after wasting so much time and ingredients (and a candy thermometer!) on cooked fudge I cheated and made that microwave kind with powdered sugar...sort of a glorified thick chocolate buttercream I guess! haha. Oh well!

Callyssa Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 11

I'll bet we have different recipes. Mine is from my great grandmother and I've never seen anyone else make anything close; always like the microwave kind that you made. To me, that is not fudge because we grew up on the hard, gritty kind, but to my husband MINE is not fudge!
I don't beat mine, just blend butter in after it comes off the heat, stir, and when it loses it's shine pour it into the pan.
You should be able to soak your thermometer in hot water (unless it broke?) to still use it. I have to do that when I make rock candy, but that's also what I have to do to the spoon and pan after making fudge. It will dissolve from the water.
Darn you though!! JK I've been low carbbing for three days now and talking about fudge is making me insanely hungry for it! Now I'm going to have to break my stride and make some! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 11

Its okay, my diet is totally screwed AGAIN this week.... *sigh*

Ok so you just stir yours real well when its still hot? Mine said not to stir until cool but your way would have been easier. By the time mine was the temp the instructions said, it was already a gooey mess and hard to get out.

I really like the kind you just make with chocolate chips and marshmallow fluff...but my friend can't have that because any store bought chocolate contains soy.

Callyssa Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 11

Would you like my recipe? It's hard to master, honestly....but so worth it in my opinion! And as far as diet, what was I thinking anyway? Thanksgiving is next week!! And then we have our special day of holiday decorating and that is when I make my special fudge. I don't think I'll ever shake these lbs. I hate to see in the mirror!

Callyssa Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 11

Sorry, I didn't answer your question! Yes, I stir it when it comes off the heat, add vanilla and butter, and just keep stirring. It should lose it's shine, but if it doesn't I know I've messed it up, so sometimes I can fix it by adding more butter, but if not I stick it in the microwave. Mine used granulated sugar also and cocoa powder.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:13am
post #8 of 11

as far as cooked fudge goes..i hate the mess. but..on the chocolate chip issue your friend has b/c of the soy...we have a grocery store here that carries all of the specialty baking items. ie: almond paste, marzipan, things like that and they have a dairy/gluten/soy free chip that tastes just like chocolate chips. you might check your specialty grocery stores for something similar. haven't tried them in fudge yet but i might give them a shot this holiday...HTH!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 12:19am
post #9 of 11

I cook my fudge to the soft ball stage. If your fudge is that hard it was probably cooked to long, you need to calibrate your thermometer. All you have to do, is put some water on the stove and when it starts to boil your thermometer should read 212, if it doesn't then you need to adjust your cooking temp up or down accordingly.

BTW: my fudge recipes all call for cooling, then beating by hand with a wooden spoon until the candy just starts to loose its gloss.

Kitagrl Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 1:16am
post #10 of 11

Thanks guys! I think I'm scared to try it again too soon LOL but I will eventually!!!!

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 5:31am
post #11 of 11

I make this kind of fudge, too. My older brother was always our master fudge maker....he'd make it on Friday nights and we'd eat it during Saturday morning cartoons (back when you could only watch cartoons on Saturday morning LOL!!!).

Anyway, it's always to the soft ball stage. And then right into a cold ice water bath while beating until it loses it's gloss.

BUT, (and don't tell anyone else), when I had trouble making it, he told me his SECRET ingredient. He swears by it.....and now I do, too......

Here it is:

....He greases the dish that the fudge is poured into with butter, and in the butter, he writes his name with his finger. If he doesn't do this the fudge doesn't turn out. I tried this (with my own name), and it works. My girls now know the secret. I probably shouldn't be telling anyone (ha ha) but since you've all been so helpful to me I thought I would spill the beans.

Good luck and happy fudge making : )

(I might make some and turn on a Scooby Doo re-run tomorrow morning)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%