Taking A Risk? (Venting)

Lounge By Pookie59 Updated 20 Nov 2009 , 8:04pm by michellenj

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 9

So after years (5+) of working a mindless job, I was offered a promotion at my current place of employ for a job that I have 18 years of prior experience doing (another firm, different city) and have a degree for. Sounds great, right?

I guess I'm a little worried because my current position, although not fulfilling, is pretty safe in terms of lay-off, etc. The new job is being filled because they have so much work in that department right now and probably will for some time, but if things slow down again... who knows. Also I've heard that a co-worker in that department (who's a little schizo anyway) is mad, probably because she thinks her job will be less secure once I'm on board. Also this place rarely promotes from within - usually they hire from outside the firm rather than promote (go figure), so there may be a little jealousy.

I hate to play it safe my whole life since I think this is a good opportunity, but I can't help but worry just a little.

8 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 9

You know what my biggest concern is about this situation? The fact that they always promote someone from the OUTSIDE the dept., not inside. What does that say about the staff you may potentially be working with? Is that going to be a comfortable & productive environment to work in? If they never promote from within, I don't think so. Just another thing to consider. Wgat ever you decide, I wish you the best in your decision! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 9

That is a very very very interesting question and unfortunately there's no good answer either. icon_biggrin.gif

I worked really hard to get my promotions because my big boss hated my guts--and I'm sucha sweetie too icon_lol.gif --so while other people got thier promotions based on longevity/seniority--I had to wait and wait--but I got 'em and she had to say I rocked too.

The-en I had the cleverest rep on my team--she was the highest paid person in her field--when she got overtime it was a beautiful thing--she did the same thing that all the other reps did but she never took the promotion bait and she did very very well. No pressure--nice money,

I don't know. The lady or the tiger.

So picture yourself with that position in six months. Your co-worker is still psycho and you have the added responsibility of the job--will the extra money and more interesting work tip the scale up or down? Y'know make a list of pros & cons.

All that to say go for it. If you don't take this promotion you might not be able to ever break out of your current situation. You gotta be at least 40-ish huh--it's real hard to get the position back--it's taken you 5 years to get the chance --I say go for it.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 9

Well, I hate to play it safe too, but in this downed economy, it's better to be safe than sorry! Can you pay your bills on time and have something leftover at the end of the month? If so, then I would say it might be better to stick to what provides for your survival. But, with your experience, if you took the new position and ended up laid off, could you find another job that is similar?

I guess the one piece of advice I can give is, if you choose the new job try to live for a while as if you were on the old job's salary. That way, if it falls through you might have more money in reserves and you're not so deep in debt that you are consumed with worry and guilt over leaving your other job. Speaking from experience here......

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks all for the input. My gut instinct is to go for it because I've been so miserable with this mindless job I have now. I've been waiting for an opportunity like this for six years, so it's kind of now or never.

The only con I can see is that I may have less security with the promotion (that's just my impression). However, I am confident in my abilities and have had great reviews from my superiors. I will work my tail off to prove myself and make myself indispensible.

I have several theories on why they are offering me this position. First, the old office manager who would never allow promotions from within is (thankfully) gone. The new OM has a different outlook. Second, promoting from within saves them a substantial headhunter fee. Third, I think some of the people in that department are unhappy with the schizo co-worker I referred to, as she has a habit of throwing screaming temper tantrums when things don't go her way. It could be that she might end up being more subject to being laid off than I would be. She won't be my superior by the way.

The pros are...
- initially slightly more money with potential for much better money
- will be a great addition to my resume
- allows me to break out of my current sitution and (I believe) open me up to similar positions at other firms
- good experience
- work that I would enjoy and be challenged by

Yes, there's some risk involved. But ... what is that saying? Something about when you die your only regrets will be the risks you didn't take.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 9

talk about the concerns in your interview. ask them what were the problems in that area that generated turnover and no promote-from-within stuff. ask what's different now? This is just a normal part of the interview.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 9

Yes! to me one of the hugest reasons to do it is because of the resume thing.

You just validated your whole 18 year thing--it's like completing a beautiful battenburg lace loop in the tapestry of your work experience. Even if you do get laid off going forward--you are much better off in this position than in the mindless one yes?

And nothing is sacred--the mindless one could be the first to go--but who knows? Those are all ifs and maybes. It's not a foregone conclusion that any of them will go.

I'm very happy for you-~~Congratulations!!!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 9

First, As long as you work for someone else, your job is never secure, even if you have a contract. Always be prepared.

Second, the "why's" don't matter, they presented you with the opportunity, so you just need to do your homework (which you're doing).

Third, You should go for it because it came to you and you will never know unless you try. Plus six years is a long time to wait for something in your field if this is what you have been wanting to do. )Three years and I would have moved on to another position if I was wanting to be in a particular field.)

You don't now what will happen either way, so what do you have to lose?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 9

I say go for it, kick ass and do a great job. And if it doesn't work out down the road, maybe you will find an even better path to follow. It is kind of scary to leave your comfy zone and take a risk, though. I'd still do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%