Red Velvet And Fondant Question... Eeeek!

Decorating By bmarlow001 Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm by chouxchoux

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 10

I have to make a red velvet cake for a customer this week but I'm having a little trouble deciding what to do about the icing, I would think that the normal cream cheese icing would be a bad idea considering I am using fondant to cover my cake... Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? recipes? TIA!

9 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 10

What about a crusting cream cheese icing? I haven't tried it yet, but there's one in the recipe section. I got the impression it would act like buttercream.

bmarlow001 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 10

That's what I was originally thinking... good to know there is one in hereicon_smile.gif I will def. try it out and see how it tastes. Thank you!

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 10

I recently did a groom's cake that was red velvet and had a similar debate, just because of the refrigeration issue. Mine was not covered in fondant but I ended up using my regualr buttercream recipe (Sugarshack's) and added one package of instant cheesecake flavored pudding mix. I tried just adding it in and it seemed a bit grainy so the next time, I mixed the pudding in 1/2 cup of boiling water and then mixed it in. I did add some meringue powder to make sure it crusted, but Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack) does not use any in her recipe. It turned out great; easy to work with and delicious. I see no reason why that wouldn't work under your fondant.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:42am
post #5 of 10

I use regular creamcheese icing on my red velvet cake. It's fine without refrigeration for up to 24 hours. I use it as a filling but use white chocolate ganache under the fondant. Yum. Yum.

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:55am
post #6 of 10

I use a white chocolate buttercream on my red velvets when I don't want them to be refrigerated. I just add melted white chocolate to my vanilla buttercream recipe. It tastes great!

bmarlow001 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 10

I love the white chocolate ganache Idea! is there a good recipe on here you would recommend?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 20 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 10

white choco ganache has to be a ratio of 3 parts white chocolate to 1 part cream. So, 8oz of cream would be 24 oz of chocolate. Let it sit for a few hours to harden up then smooth like you would a crumb coat.

P.S. nobody says you HAVE to use cream cheese icing with red velvet cake icon_razz.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 21 Nov 2009 , 2:30am
post #9 of 10

I've used the decorator's cream cheese icing recipe from this site on Red Velvet under fondant, it's fine in the fridge w/fondant just don't cover it. The icing was also fine at room temp for the better part of the day during the party.

chouxchoux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 10

i used white chocolate ganache, made with gharedelli white chocolate under fondart....i was wonderful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%