Curly Q Ribbons? How Do I Attach Them Into My Loopy Bows?

Decorating By momo4shosho Updated 22 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm by chouxchoux

momo4shosho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momo4shosho Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 15

Hi- I keep seeing cakes with loopy bows on top accented with the curly ribbons. How do I make them? Do I use straws as my forms? And once they are dry how do I attach them? Any suggestions or tutorials are greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

14 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 15

You can use anything round: straws, dowels, handles of wooden spoons, etc. Just curl them around and let them dry. Once they are completely dry, you can attach them into the bow by using candy melts...at least that's how I do it.

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

You can use anything round: straws, dowels, handles of wooden spoons, etc. Just curl them around and let them dry. Once they are completely dry, you can attach them into the bow by using candy melts...at least that's how I do it.

Ditto this whole post.

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 15

I dry them on wooden dowels and attach with candy melts.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 15

Ditto to what everyone else has said icon_smile.gif

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 15

I do the same thing with the melts.. I only let mine dry on the dowels for about 15-20 mins then take them off gently and let them dry for about an hour or two, maybe longer depending on how much time I have and if I want them sticking up or draping. Good Luck!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 15

Ditto to all of it...easy beans babe

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 15

I don't let mine dry on the dowels I just slid them off and they will hold their shape while they dry.

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 9:45am
post #9 of 15

Sorry, to impose on your post! But are these made with fondant or gumpaste? TIA thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 15

I just use a litle dab of buttercream to secure them. I've never had any trouble - but I think I will try the candy melts to see if I like that better. Thanks for the tip!

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 12:40pm
post #11 of 15

I use royal icing for the bow and I use it for that also. Never thought of candy melts. I will try that too,

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

Sorry, to impose on your post! But are these made with fondant or gumpaste? TIA thumbs_up.gif

You want fondant with gumpaste blend (or with gum tex, gum trag or tylose mixed in place of the gumpaste) or gumpaste.

Plain fondant doesn't often want to hold shapes with out having to dry forever.

Meg147 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meg147 Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 2:45pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg147

You want fondant with gumpaste blend (or with gum tex, gum trag or tylose mixed in place of the gumpaste) or gumpaste.

Plain fondant doesn't often want to hold shapes with out having to dry forever.

Thanks so much TexasSugar x

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 15

I rarely use gumpaste. The last bow I made was for the Barney cake I did and I cut out the thin strips of fondant, wrapped them around a dowel and let them dry just long enough to hold the curl and then laid them on a cookie sheet to dry completely. I let all of my fondant pieces dry for several days or if I'm short on time or it's humid, I use my food dehydrator.

I use melted candy melts to assemble the bow and work the curls in as once the bow loops are in place. Some pieces might require a little extra dip in the melted candy, but it works well.

chouxchoux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chouxchoux Posted 22 Nov 2009 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 15

i've used dowels, fondant and attached w/ white chocolate or stiff royal. i love making these. make extra, they can break.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%