Google Will Find It For You!

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 9:09pm by tony66

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 54

I'm just in the thread starting mood today. Anyways, I keep forgetting to bring this up everytime I see a post regarding frustration about not finding something in CC by using the search function. Forget the search function here. Go to Google.

Example:

Someone cannot for the life of them find a book cake tutorial by searching CC. But they know it's in here. So, go to Google, type in "book cake tutorial cake central" and...bam! Here it is a link to a discussion which has a link to more discussions which will give the person what they are looking for:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-645706-.html

Adding "cake central" after the keywords for your search is the key. thumbs_up.gif

53 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 54

What about when they want to know how much batter goes in a certain pan, or how many servings such and such pan has?

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 54

That's easy. That's too easy. That doesn't count. Heh heh....

TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:48pm
post #4 of 54

I love CC for the help. I love knowing I can come here any time and get some answers, but I think that it has also made some people too dependant on others doing the searching for them.

Why should they spend time searching the internet for something when they can post here and have someone else post a link for them? Sigh.

Guess I'm just in a mood this afternoon.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 54

Heh heh...in not so many words, I was implying the saaaaaaame thing. icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 54

Oh I know. Thought I'd spell it out for ya. icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 54

icon_biggrin.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 54

Thanx so much for posting this! I always have a hard time finding stuff on cc that I know I saw, I spend hours searching cause I hate starting a thread asking for everyone to find stuff for me, but I probably have done that when I was desperate. Thank you for teaching me something new today!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I love CC for the help. I love knowing I can come here any time and get some answers, but I think that it has also made some people too dependant on others doing the searching for them.

Why should they spend time searching the internet for something when they can post here and have someone else post a link for them? Sigh.

thumbs_up.gif to what you said & thumbsdown.gif to those who want everyone else to look it up for them and icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif to the thread topic. Ya know me Jaime!

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 54

All snarkiness aside, I think it's pretty cool actually. I noticed doing searches myself on Google, that a lot of the results were directing me to CC anyways, when I wasn't necessarily looking to be directed here in the first place. It's inneresting, if anything.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 54

Yeah, I saw that too. I was surprised the first time & googled something and it took me to C.C. And then when I saw it do it every time, I thought it was a good idea. And no snarkiness intended to my favorite GirlyGirl.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 54

whats this??????????

you trying to break up the "WHY HAVE A DOG AND BARK" group?

What gets me more p@#@d off are the CC members that say.....

"Oh I don't have time to READ ALL THAT THREAD"...... what ???? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

OH! and its OK for ME to spend my time re-writing what I have written 50 times before????? oh THAT'S DIFFERENT!!

icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:30pm
post #13 of 54

Lol Bella and Apple....you guys are a riot.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:37pm
post #14 of 54
Quote:

Oh good! Someone ELSE who is "in a mood" too! icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:43pm
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Oh good! Someone ELSE who is "in a mood" too! icon_lol.gif

I'm pushing 60 ~~ I stay 'in a mood' icon_biggrin.gif

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:43pm
post #16 of 54

Yeah, I'm in a mood, too. Sometimes persons not only don't search, they don't scroll down, either, because someone just asked the identical question.

Now, I'm going to go start a bunch of threads on:

How do I put a ribbon around a cake?

Can I freeze ____________?

Do I have to refrigerate ______________?

How much should I charge for __(photo of cake)_____?

Does anyone have a good recipe for ___________?

Wow. Apologies for my snark. I think need to go have a glass of wine.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:08am
post #17 of 54

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Yep - maybe we should just start our own series of
"Grumpy Old Women"

Did you guys get those over there? soooooo funny !!

ApplegumKitchen Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:11am
post #18 of 54

The one I love is......

Can somebody give me a tried and true recipe for XYZ because I have an order for one tomorrow??!!!!

..... hahahha

AND THEN.... they follow up in the next week with...

I tried YOUR recipe and it was a disaster!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:23am
post #19 of 54

i have a question, and i'm genuinely interested in the answer. i'm not trying to be an idiot or trying to say you're all wrong, because you're not lol. i whole heartedly agree. especially with the questions that there seems to be millions of threads about: "how do i get red/black buttercream/fondant?" "cake mix vs scratch" you know the ones... (not to say that i'm not guilty of doing some form of it when i first came along icon_redface.gif )

so my question is, what type of questions/threads would you rather people asked/posted here?

for the record, i tried to answer this question myself lol, but everything i came up with it seemed like i could google. maybe opinions on specific things? i'm not even sure i know what i mean at this point lol. if this is confusing you all as much as it is me, just disregard this whole message!! icon_biggrin.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:44am
post #20 of 54

I just gotta chime in here. What is with people starting threads like "What do you think about ...?" or "How do I make a ....?" Why cant they finish their thought in the subject line? I think people would be more willing to help if they knew the topic. I hate opening threads I have no idea how to answer or no interest in. Sorry - just had to voice that pet peeve.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:47am
post #21 of 54

adree313

haha - YOU hit the nail right on the head..... yes!! most questions can be answered by Google - and in fact ... I think more than HALF of the answers come from OTHER PEOPLE doing the Google Research and then posting the answer.

I'm not adverse to people asking questions - I just don't like the whole....
MY RIGHT TO AN ANSWER logic that seems to have crept into CC.
Like somebody will ask a question and then 5 people will give an answer and then somebody else comes on and says .... Oh you didn't have to be SO MEAN! this happens ALL THE TIME when people ask about Pricing -
Then the next 17 pages are a total waste of time - people bickering over whether or not somebody should be required to "work it out for themselves" - despite being given ... step by step instructions they then come back with:-

SORRY FOR ASKING A QUESTION and get all huffy

There was this thread about pricing.... my answer

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6628509-.html#6628509

People will never learn how to do this for themselves if they are NEVER required to work it out - or at least try to understand the process.

So to answer your question.... I would like to see questions that show a genuine interest in LEARNING how to do something - not just .... PLEASE DO THE MENIAL TASKS FOR ME!!

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:48am
post #22 of 54

Jamie and everyone else, I apologize because I'm guilty as charged.

It is too easy sometimes to ask the same question that you know has been posted, but can't find it through search on CC.

And Jamie, you're on the money with Google. It's how I found CC and G normally sends me straight to the answer I'm looking for on CC.

Why I don't Google as often as I should, well it's because I like the community of CC. I find it informative, supportive and honest. It has become a comfort zone.

All I can say is I thank everyone who takes the time for people like myself and answers the questions over and over again. I know it gets tiresome; I didn't last a year in fast food management.

I've learned more from this site about cake decorating in this last year than from any of my past instructors for the last 6 years. Borrowing from the MasterCard tag line, CC ... priceless.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 12:48am
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

...so my question is, what type of questions/threads would you rather people asked/posted here?... icon_biggrin.gif

I like to help new people. I don't mind repetition.
I mean I do pretty much stay in a 'mood' but I like to answer questions.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:09am
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

I just gotta chime in here. What is with people starting threads like "What do you think about ...?" or "How do I make a ....?" Why cant they finish their thought in the subject line? I think people would be more willing to help if they knew the topic. I hate opening threads I have no idea how to answer or no interest in. Sorry - just had to voice that pet peeve.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I absolutely HATE that more than anything! CC doesn't charge you per letter or per word so USE THEM!!! I always want to post a response: To their subject of "what do you think of ....." I want to respond ".....completing a sentence on the subject line?"

Add to the list:

- "I need help" (no kidding ... that's pretty much why we ALL start a thread)
- "Quick Question" (No .... it's quick for you to type it, but it takes the same amount of time for all of us to open the thread, read the response, and type our answer. There is no "Quick Question" in a written format.)
- "Cake Question" (there's a big DUH one for ya!)
icon_lol.gif
I know there are more.....

And I do agree with k8. I dont' mind some repeat questions because I know there are always new people on popping on here every day. LIke Applegum's way of thinking, I try to guide them to other threads with information they are looking for as I think it exposes them to viewpoints other than just mine, and helps teach them to fish for a lifetime.

But yeah, the "how many teaspoons in a Tablespoon" questions, that could be answered faster by going to www.ask.com, makes me release a "big sigh!" all day long.

This week I nominate me for President of the Grumpy Old Women CLub! dunce.gif

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:23am
post #25 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

This week I nominate me for President of the Grumpy Old Women CLub! dunce.gif

I second the nomination.

Opposed? <silence>

And it's carried!!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #26 of 54

Well, the rest of you pushing 60 may stay in a MOOD...

...I'm pushing 60 and I stay HOT! Damn!! I'm burnin' up! icon_redface.gif It's wet and cold outside and I've got the ceiling fans on high and the AC turned to 68.

Twenty-some years ago I wore a sweater on a 98 degree day!

But back on topic, I no longer even open a thread where the poster doesn't bother to at least give a frickin' hint at what the issue is.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #27 of 54

triple post

-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #28 of 54

triple post

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:24am
post #29 of 54

I'm guilty too I can find things on google but on here I am fit to be tied don't know why, when people keep asking about the red and black I love to keep answering , because I know they are new people usually and I want to be ready to help them as so many were here to help me. I do appreciate all the help here, I have learned soooooooooooooooooooo much the last four years and I'm happy for the patience shown me. I think if someone is grateful I don't mind, but if you act like I owe you the answer you may not get it right away. Delivery is key. Thanks everyone for all the help!!!!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 1:39am
post #30 of 54

icon_lol.gif this is hysterical, i love it! and all soooo true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%