Nfsc- Mom Says Not Sweet Enough

Baking By meagansmom Updated 23 Dec 2009 , 1:14am by KitchenKat

meagansmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meagansmom Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 17

I have used NFSC recipe and love the outcome. Personally I like a cookie that is not too sweet, but my mom says it is not sweet enough. With the icing I think they are just right.

I want to make some decorated cookies to give away as gifts for the holidays. Does anyone have any alterations to this recipe or something that would be a bit sweeter and work just as well?

16 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 17

I add 3 cups of sugar to it, because I think it needs to be a little sweeter........it doesn't make it overly sweet though by any means. When I'm making them for kids I add 4 cups of sugar, I swap out half the butter for shortening and leave out ALL of the baking powder and add 1/2 vanilla 1/2 almond extract. Lately I've also been adding van. pudding mix to the dough (I mix it with 2 cups of flour and the other dry ingredients) once it's incorporated I add more flour a little at a time until the consistency is right (I don't measure it) sometimes I add another 3 cups sometimes another 4 cups, depends on the weather.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 17

I found this recipe a few years ago and have not made any other kind since. People flip out over it. It has powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 17

I thought the NFSC was pretty tasteless when I tried it. I prefer Penny's recipe, to which I add many different emulsions to alter the taste.

here's the link
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6806/penny-cookies

One emulsion I use with this recipe is the "Buttery Sweet Dough" Bakery Emulsion by Lorann.....I still use vanilla but I omit the almond and use 1 to 2 tsp per recipe of this instead. It gives the cookies a great flavor.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 17

I think the NFSC is the kind of cookie that is SUPPOSED to be iced or it doesn't taste as good. I don't think they are like the slice-n-bakes that you can eat plain.

Did you ever eat those Mexican Wedding Cake cookies (round, with pecans, covered in powdered sugar) without the p.sugar coating? NASTY!!!!

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 17

That's what I love about the NFSC, when it's iced or covered with fondant it's not overly sweet. But by itself...kinda bland unless dunked in something like coffee or cocoa! icon_smile.gif

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 1:11am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkitty

That's what I love about the NFSC, when it's iced or covered with fondant it's not overly sweet. But by itself...kinda bland unless dunked in something like coffee or cocoa! icon_smile.gif

Exactly, I think NFSC is the perfect complement to icing. then the overall is not crazy make my teeth hurt sweet. I always add emulsions to my dough and now I can't wait to try the pumpkin pie spice & maple flavors and some others mentioned in another thread. I actually like my NFSC's plain. Good luck finding a balance that works for you!

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 17

KHalstead, you said you add 3 cups sugar to the NFSC recipe? So does that mean you put in a total of 5 cups? Or do you just add 1 cup extra to the 2 cups that's called for? Same question about your suggestion about flour...

Barbaranne, do your cookies spread at all or do they keep the shape of the cookie cutter?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 19 Nov 2009 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 17

No they don't really spread much I don't think. Honestly, I never really paid attention to that. I don't do super detailed cookies though. I've done violins, cars, ladybugs and turtles. I think the woman from that website uses that recipe for most of her cookies, so take a peek at hers.

meagansmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meagansmom Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 17

Sorry, I am just now responding to everyone but thanks. Fixin' to whip up some cookie dough...the question is which one will I do?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 17

I love Penny's recipe too. I also don't like sicky sweet things. I think with the icing it's just enough. I eat Penny's recipe naked though. They are good. I didn't care for the NFSC's when I made them.

Phyllis52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phyllis52 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 17

Barbaranne -

How much do the cookies spread from your recipe?

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 17

not trying to highjack the thread but does anyone have a problem with the NFSC being dry? my mom complained about them being too dry. then again, she also said that my sour cream pound cakes were dry. no idea. no one else complained about them so i figured they were alright. my suggestion is if you think they taste good, and other people say they taste good, then one person's opinion is not going to change my plans. sry to my mom but she can just dunk them in coffee or something. just the way my xmas is going so far. not trying to be a PITA or anything. icon_rolleyes.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

KHalstead, you said you add 3 cups sugar to the NFSC recipe? So does that mean you put in a total of 5 cups? Or do you just add 1 cup extra to the 2 cups that's called for? Same question about your suggestion about flour...

Barbaranne, do your cookies spread at all or do they keep the shape of the cookie cutter?

no no...just 3 cups total..........but when I'm making them for kids I put 4 cups of sugar in them. Usually if I cover with fondant it's 3 cups of sugar...royal then 4 cups......I like that they're not too sweet.

To combat the dryness I add instant pudding mix before adding the flour....keeps them nice and moist and chewy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjess819

not trying to highjack the thread but does anyone have a problem with the NFSC being dry?

I quickly learned not to taste-test them right out of hte oven and before they had been iced. I always had an omg-these-are-overbaked! reaction. 'Till I realized that the icing actually kinda soaks into the cookie and adds moisture to them.

If she eats Oreo's and likes them, then she has no taste anyway, so ignore her! icon_lol.gif (I HATE Oreo's and figure whoever would actually eat those things, would eat ANYTHING! dunce.gif )

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 Dec 2009 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 17

LOL... I'm not a big Oreo fan either Debi. I think the NFSC's are a bit dry... that's why I like Penny's recipe. The cookies have a much better texture... I think it's due to the cream in the recipe.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 23 Dec 2009 , 1:14am
post #17 of 17

LOL my family loves NFSCs straight from the oven, uniced. We like how it's not too sweet. It's still wonderful iced (I use Toba's glace) but we find it delish plain.

Just another example of how there's no disputing taste!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%