Wilton's Castle Kit

Decorating By cakesbykaren09 Updated 21 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm by CakesByAdriana

cakesbykaren09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykaren09 Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 9

How do I keep the top towers from falling over on the Wilton Castle Kit Cake. The past couple of castles I made from this kit I've had trouble with the top three towers being stable. I have to do this cake again on Sunday and would love some advice.
Thanks!
Karen

8 replies
manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 9

I had my husband drill holes in the bottom of the towers and then used wooden dowels inserted in the cake. Even with that I had trouble, keeping them upright. Next time I use it I will use sharpened dowels, long enough to go through both tiers and into bottom cake board. I think that will add enough stabiltiy. Best of luck with your cake. Hopefully you will get more help with this issue.

cakesbykaren09 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 9

That is a great idea, thanks! I'm going to get my husband to do that for me. It's worth a try!
Thanks

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:33am
post #4 of 9

That is a really good idea. Or PVC pipe or something that won't tip over.

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 3:57pm
post #5 of 9

I have the wilton kit as well and i will be using it in a few weeks for my daughters cake. I have heard nothing good yet about this kit. i hope i don't have a hard time.

cakesbykaren09 Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 9

OK...I tried drilling the holes in the bottoms of the towers and inserted wooden dowels...it worked!!! You do need to let the finished cake sit in the refridgerator overnight before moving it...found that out the hard way too...had to do a redo!!! But, the dowels in the bottoms did work...thank you so much, manahigh!!!
Love this site!!!
Karen

CakesByAdriana Posted 20 Jan 2010 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbykaren09

OK...I tried drilling the holes in the bottoms of the towers and inserted wooden dowels...it worked!!! You do need to let the finished cake sit in the refridgerator overnight before moving it...found that out the hard way too...had to do a redo!!! But, the dowels in the bottoms did work...thank you so much, manahigh!!!
Love this site!!!
Karen

Post a picture! I would love to see it!

cakesbykaren09 Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #8 of 9

OK...I have tried to upload a picture but can't. I have one in my profile...sorry! I never can get a picture uploaded in the forum.

CakesByAdriana Posted 21 Jan 2010 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 9

Beautiful Cake! Great Work! All your cakes are so beautiful.

I did the same colour scheme for my daughters cake this Dec.

I used the 1" dowel and used royal icing to secure the dowels. I left the to dry and then inserted them into the cake. I didn't have trouble, they were pretty secure and didn't fall.
Hope this helps for next time. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%