My Local Auction

Lounge By G_Cakes Updated 18 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm by G_Cakes

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 9

Where I live in Oshawa, there is a family who runs an auction house.

They do their auction 3-4 times a week depending on how much stuff they get in.

My brother thought it would be a fun night out and give us something to do on a Saturday night so I figured sure...let's go check it out.

Well much to my surprise it was a whole lot of fun. Most items went for less than $10.00 but a few went way over at around 200.00 but the items were a steal even at those prices.

The best part was I managed to get a box of cookbooks, old baking pans ( some dating back to 1950's) and another box full of wilton cake dividers (33 pieces total in various sizes).

All of it total cost me......drum roll please

$6.00

LOL I cant believe it 6 bux!!!

The best part of it all was one of the cook books I found in that box was an old Mennonite cook book, and it was typed up and dated back to 1957.

It has over 200 recipes, everything from baking bread, pies, cakes and family meals (including a good ol fashioned barn raising meal for 250 +) right down to tonics to stop you from losing your hair LOL.

I can wait to start trying out some of these recipes...I am so excited!

Just wondering has anyone else gotten lucky at a local auction or some other place and found some really great stuff ?

8 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 9

Yes, that's how I got my 20-quart Hobart mixer for $250, and my twin white KA commercials for $25 each.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 9

Nice!!!!

I havent been that lucky to find a kitchen aid but hubby did find me a Hobart meat tenderizer that he is in the process of removing the blades so that I can use it as a sheeter for my fondant.

Only cost him $2.00 so if it dont work out no big loss!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 9

The local vo-tech school remodeled the kitchen, auctioning off the old equipment. I think the Hobart was there since the first day they opened the school, in 1971. I could have also gotten 2 huge convection ovens for about $25 each, but I did not have the space to store them at the time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:20am
post #5 of 9

We go to auctions all the time. I haven't seen a KA though. Unfortunately for me, during this past summer, there was a WHOLE box of candy/chocolate molds and various cake supplies (from closing of a shop) and the WHOLE box (probably 200 molds) went for ...um...$5.00!!!! I wasn't interested in it then but I certainly regret I didn't get at least some of it! I have a SMALLLLLLLLLLLLLL kitchen (Apartment)and I had no where to store it but I did look at it...I wouldn't pass it up now if I had to sit it in the livingroom floor!

I get lots of great stuff at auctions, mixing bowls, extra bowl for my mixer and more I can't think of but I do regret not getting that stuff!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 9

That's awesome! I still want to go to an auction.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:31am
post #7 of 9

That sounds like so much fun. How do find these auctions? I don't think I know anyone who has been to one.

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 9

I want to go to an auction. I've only ever been to a drug seized auction and mostly all they had were cars and trucks.

G_Cakes Posted 18 Nov 2009 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 9

If you search online for auctions in your area you will be surprised at how many are out there.

Just google "auction city" and see what you will find.

I am totally hooked and have now gotten and in with the auctioneer (baked him some cookies) and he emails me when ever there is anything baking related icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%