Kinda Nervous... (Long)

Decorating By scionmom Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 4:51pm by JenniferMI

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, I am kinda nervous about posting this, because I know how sensitive this topic can be from just reading some of the other ones. I am kinda expecting some not so good feedback, as well as some helpful advice. I have never charged for one of my cakes because I sometimes dont feel that I am a professional, I usually just do it because I love it. Lately, my DH has been telling everyone at his work that I 'do' cakes and I have been taking in experiments and leftovers and things like that. Well, a few people that he works with want me to do cakes for their childrens bday... BIG cakes... not just the easy old thing, oh and did I mention he has also told his squadron I would do the Christmas party cake... to feed 300. Have one that even wants me to do one that is a spin off of my dd bday cake.... Heres the thing, I put alot of work into them and at least want to reimbursed for the supplies. I have told them to let me know what they want and I will get back to them with a price... I am not a 'legal' baker (let the comments fly), so I have an ethical issue actually charging for my services. Am I right or am i just being a softie?? And if I do charge them... how much? I have sat and figured up what the supplies will cost and I am thinking... I know my time is worth so much more than that... but is it really? I am so confused!!! I know that you will all give me some good advice on how to handle this. I have even thought about telling them that if they pay for the supplies and then make a donation as what they see fit... but how am I gonna feel if they only give me like $5 for a donation?? I am sure they will definately be on the "no cake for you" list.. haha. CCr's, please share with me your endless wealth of knowledge on this!!!

Thanx, Theresa

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 5

I think you really know what you want to do here and just want someone to support it.

You need to sit down with hubby and have a serious talk with him. It is easy for him to promise cakes to everyone when it isn't his time going into them. And does he even realise how much money is coming away from your family when he promises you will do huge cakes for other people for free? Does he know the legal issues behind doing cakes from your home in Texas? Is he going to foot the bill for the fine if it you get one?

Taking money for supplies and donations for the finally product is still getting paid to do a cake, just cheaply. So if you are going to do this, legalities aside, you need to charge what you are worth. Just because you drasticly reduce the price (by just having them pay for supplies) doesn't change the fact that you are doing it illegally according to the laws here.

I understand where you are coming from. My thought is if you are going to go ahead and go forth with it, you have to feel comfortable with what you are doing. But if you are going to charge, charge what you are worth.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 5

Texas said it perfectly.....

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 5

Ditto OP's.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 5

Ditto!